Intel RMS25KB080 same LSI9207-8i ? for $179

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Been looking at these for a long time, but cannot find one to bring over to NZ cheaply.

Found this one with bracket, normally these don't have them.
This card is based on the SAS2308 is PCIe Gen3 and is basically a much cheaper version of the LSI9207/17
Not tested my self so don't hold me to anything I've just said ;)

This could be come the replacement of the M1015 for even faster IT mode performance for ZFS, price will hopefully come down as the M1015 skyrockets.

Intel RMS25KB080

Check my OEM LSI page in Controller section for specs and link to Intel PDF.

Last edited:

BoA

Sep 18, 2012
Naestved, Denmark
Got one comming with the mail tomorrow, will post benchmark pictures etc. Got
5x Samsung 830 series 128gb that im going to raid up in R0 :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Got one comming with the mail tomorrow, will post benchmark pictures etc. Got
5x Samsung 830 series 128gb that im going to raid up in R0 :)
Very interested in your results!

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
So am I, been keeping an eye on these Intels for months.
This is the best one so far there also 4i versions on ebay going for slightly less, and other 8i's going for more.
But none that would make it worth it for me to get one to NZ :(

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I looked up that part number: http://ark.intel.com/products/60288/Intel-Integrated-RAID-Module-RMS25KB080

According to that Intel page, it uses PCIe2 and would then be a 9205 equivalent (PCIe2) as opposed to a 9207 with PCIe3. Other Intel web pages says it's PCIe3 like the 9207: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/servers/raid-intergrated-rms25kb-brief.html and http://download.intel.com/support/m...2520_002_rms25kb080_rms25kb040_rms25jb080.pdf

The weight of evidence says PCIe3. Intel also added a monster heatsink relative to the LSI parts, which can't be a bad thing. Sounds like a good deal. I'm looking forward to your analysis and benchmarks.

Last edited:

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Going on Amazon for the same price here but without back bracket. A few sellers doing them for around that price.

I don't know what your local pricing is in NZ but if it helps you out I can get from the local distributor (I am a registered Intel partner) for US$175 and shipping would be only from Singapore to NZ. The local carrier (singpost.com.sg) estimates around S/NZ$30 (based on 460g weight or 1lb weight listed on the Amazon for this unit). The 4i is US$135. Need a 5 unit minimum though. A lot of stuff I can get single unit orders on but I suspect this will not be one of the items.

Note, these are not my local selling prices for these units but I am happy to offer for you and other STH members if Patrick is ok with it.

Oh and the distributor lists it as;
Intel® Integrated RAID Module RMS25KB080, SIOM, LSI2308 SAS Chip, 8P Internal SAS, LSI IR RAID 0,1,1E

BoA

Sep 18, 2012
Naestved, Denmark
Got it today, so to my disapointment the card didnt boot bios. I have tryed the controller in 4 diffrent PCs and in my old xeon server, no BIOS shows in either of them. So have made RMA as DOA for the controller. So much for waiting 3 weeks :(

BTW there a label on the ESD bag that says " This product will only work on Intel serverboard with Intel Xeon E-series Processor". Could Intel have made some kind of block in BIOS, so the controller only will work on Intel server boards ?

Last edited:

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
In IT mode there will no BIOS !!

Use megacli, sas2flash or MSM to check if the card is showing.
Intel has it's own branded utilities (renamed LSI ones) you may want to grab these.
If no show here then, send it on back.

3 weeks (from seller I linked to ?) thats a long time even for me way down under

Last edited:

BoA

Sep 18, 2012
Naestved, Denmark
So sas2flash came up with:
No LSI SAS adapters found! Limited Command Set Available!
ERROR: Command Not allowed without an adapter!
ERROR: Couldn't Create Command -listall
Exiting Program.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
I would use Megarec if you can, as it finds all LSI adaptors
Even though you will need probably the Intel sas2flsah (named differently) to flash it

MegaCLi, sas2flash can be OEM locked, ie LSI version can't see IBM cards.

But if windows can't see it, it doesn't look good
Unless the firmware is blank, then Windows can't see card but Megarec will, even broken cards will show unless they are completely dead

BoA

Sep 18, 2012
Naestved, Denmark
Used sas2flash from intel, downloaded specific for this card. No card found...
MSM = Intel web console 2, tryed both. No card found, so I still belive this is a DOA ;(
Btw, reference folder in box, says there should be bios to press ctrl+C for raidbios, so
it should be shipped with IR bios

BoA

Sep 18, 2012
Naestved, Denmark
So far so good, returned the controller today. So now its just waiting for the store to get a new
one home for me. Can expect to get it oktober 5th. :)

Btw cheapest DK price is 248$(1450dkr) for this controller, danish taxes FTL :(
still its a bargain compared to LSI 9207-8i, that goes for 443$...

Last edited: