Intel res2sv240nc drive size limits?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
Hey guys I have looked everywhere for info on this but does anyone know what, if any, drive size limitations exist for the Intel res2sv240nc expander card? I remember that old expander boards had 2tb limits I'm just trying to figure if this one has a 4tb limit or something.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
The card is based on the SAS2X24 LSI chip, maybe pull up information on that?

I always believed that expanders would support pretty much anything that was standards compliant, however they may be speed limited (1.5Gbps, 3Gbps, 6Gbps or 12Gbps), depending on which standards and protocols they were designed for. Any logical disk size limitations would be where the rubber meets the road, so to speak, i.e whatever the RAID chipset behind them supported. The expander does little more than provide the physical layer and electrical interfacing required, it doesn't make any of the logical addressing decisions, that's left to the RAID controller :)

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
The card is based on the SAS2X24 LSI chip, maybe pull up information on that?

I always believed that expanders would support pretty much anything that was standards compliant, however they may be speed limited (1.5Gbps, 3Gbps, 6Gbps or 12Gbps), depending on which standards and protocols they were designed for. Any logical disk size limitations would be where the rubber meets the road, so to speak, i.e whatever the RAID chipset behind them supported. The expander does little more than provide the physical layer and electrical interfacing required, it doesn't make any of the logical addressing decisions, that's left to the RAID controller :)
this helps, thank you!

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
it has no 2tb limit, it is 6gbps speed, NC means no cables. this is just intel terminology when you would buy from intel directly. because they also sale this card with cables.
prices are 50 to 100 euro's.