Intel-RES2SV240

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
So it sounds like you understand the port limitation on the expander and that you'll need to use the second connector on the 9260 to directly connect to 4 of the drives in the 4U JBOD. I'm having a hard time following where the disconnect is at this point so I though I would make a very very ugly paint diagram of what I think you need to do. If that doesn't make sense or doesn't match what you actually have it might at least give us something to refer to.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Image isn't working for me at least so the URL is http://i.imgur.com/DCHoFIt.jpg

Reactions: Kristian

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
So it sounds like you understand the port limitation on the expander and that you'll need to use the second connector on the 9260 to directly connect to 4 of the drives in the 4U JBOD. I'm having a hard time following where the disconnect is at this point so I though I would make a very very ugly paint diagram of what I think you need to do. If that doesn't make sense or doesn't match what you actually have it might at least give us something to refer to.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Image isn't working for me at least so the URL is http://i.imgur.com/DCHoFIt.jpg
Perfect.. I understand the drawing and that is exactly how I plan to connect the JBOD and Server chassis. Thank you.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
SuperChassis 846TQ-R900B (900 = 3Gb/s 1200 = 3Gb/s & 6Gb/s backplanes BTW.)
4U Direct Attached Backplane, features:
• 3Gb support
• SES-2 Enclosure Management Support
• SAS/SATA support
• 24 SATA connectors
The SC846TQ-R900B and SC846TQ-R1200B have the same backplane, TQ is just a passthrough backplane so in theory it should support 12Gb/s as well, the difference is the power supplies. 900 = 900w, 1200 = 1200w gold rated.

I have the SC846TQ-R900B with the intel expander and ibm 1050 and my hard drives show up as negotiating at 6Gb/s

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
The SC846TQ-R900B and SC846TQ-R1200B have the same backplane, TQ is just a passthrough backplane so in theory it should support 12Gb/s as well, the difference is the power supplies. 900 = 900w, 1200 = 1200w gold rated.

I have the SC846TQ-R900B with the intel expander and ibm 1050 and my hard drives show up as negotiating at 6Gb/s
Great..... I received the Intel SAS expander today and was surprised it contained the SAS cables as well. The unit is brand new. What a deal...

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
I didn't get cables with mine, they must not like me :O
I don't think any of us got cables as part of the initial wave, I went back to double check the listing and when I bought the listing specifically said "BULK Pack" and "NO CABLES" I thought I threw them away with the box haha

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
I don't think any of us got cables as part of the initial wave, I went back to double check the listing and when I bought the listing specifically said "BULK Pack" and "NO CABLES" I thought I threw them away with the box haha
I got cables.. 4 long SAS cables and 2 short SAS cables.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
So it seems the seller also has the retail pack version of this card, so safe guess would be they had so many orders and maybe gave you guys the retail version?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Awww sh|t...look who politely reached out inquiring:

We just got a new load of these and the new batch came with cables - so put them in with the orders that came over while we had the stock -
We can check the shop and see if there are any left over

- kalleyomalley

We just got in a shipment that included the cables.
We will ship you two sets today or first thing in the morning.

- kalleyomalley

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fellow sth'ers DO NOT go out immediately and POUND them w/ the same request, if you're gonna do it space it out over the next week or two so I am not identified as 'that guy'. Please resist, it will be a dead giveaway if we all suddenly request the same thing. I didn't go in expecting them to send it but it's solid that they are going to. Not discouraging the same request as I would like to see us all get them but they are gonna be pissed is my fear if we SLAM them all at once.

In closing I think it's safe to say that for those of us that got these for $60-80 and are now gonna get the cables included (and those now getting that deal as long as it lasts) we got these cards 'essentially for free' :-D

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Awww sh|t...look who politely reached out inquiring:

We just got a new load of these and the new batch came with cables - so put them in with the orders that came over while we had the stock -
We can check the shop and see if there are any left over

- kalleyomalley

We just got in a shipment that included the cables.
We will ship you two sets today or first thing in the morning.

- kalleyomalley

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fellow sth'ers DO NOT go out immediately and POUND them w/ the same request, if you're gonna do it space it out over the next week or two so I am not identified as 'that guy'. Please resist, it will be a dead giveaway if we all suddenly request the same thing. I didn't go in expecting them to send it but it's solid that they are going to. Not discouraging the same request as I would like to see us all get them but they are gonna be pissed is my fear if we SLAM them all at once.

In closing I think it's safe to say that for those of us that got these for $60-80 and are now gonna get the cables included (and those now getting that deal as long as it lasts) we got these cards 'essentially for free' :-D
Great to hear! I have to say, some of these eBay sellers are really starting to impress as I bought a motherboard recently where they forgot the I/O shield, prior to purchase they stated that it may not be included as there's a limited quantity but would make sure I got one. Upon realizing the mistake, 1 week after getting the board and leaving good feedback, I reached out and they immediately sent a replacement the next day, well packaged and tracked.
@ywchang84 @PGlover are the cables fanout style where it's SFF-8087 to 4xSATA or SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 straight-through?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Great to hear! I have to say, some of these eBay sellers are really starting to impress as I bought a motherboard recently where they forgot the I/O shield, prior to purchase they stated that it may not be included as there's a limited quantity but would make sure I got one. Upon realizing the mistake, 1 week after getting the board and leaving good feedback, I reached out and they immediately sent a replacement the next day, well packaged and tracked.
@ywchang84 @PGlover are the cables fanout style where it's SFF-8087 to 4xSATA or SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 straight-through?
Fairly certain they are minisas-minisas (8087 to 8087) cables.

Angus

Mar 3, 2015
Looks like I won the cable lottery as well...

Awesome seller.. totally above and beyond.... I think I will be purchasing some of his cachecade keys soon..