Intel-RES2SV240

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Unfortunately I already have the 9260-8i card. For the 1 connection directly fanned out to the 4 drives, is there a clean way of connecting the JBOD chassis to the server chassis?
Is there a clean way to connect the 4 drives in the JBOD chassis to the RAID card in the server chassis?

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Is there a clean way to connect the 4 drives in the JBOD chassis to the RAID card in the server chassis?
I think I answered my own questions.. Please confirm that I would need 1 NORCO C-8087-8088F adapter in the JBOB and server chassis to have the 20 drives connected to the SAS expander and the 4 drives connected directly to the RAID controller in the server chassis.

NORCO C-8087-8088F SFF-8087 to SFF-8088 Adapter - Newegg.com

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
That is the adapter yes, and you will need 2 if your RAID card doesn't have any external ports.

20 on SAS expander, 4 on 8087-Fan-Out. Sounds right to me.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
That is the adapter yes, and you will need 2 if your RAID card doesn't have any external ports.

20 on SAS expander, 4 on 8087-Fan-Out. Sounds right to me.
Let me make sure I am clear on your comment about needing 2 of the adapter cards. I would need 1 in the JBOD chassis and 1 in the server chassis where the RAID card is located. So that is a total of 2 adapter cards.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Technically you do NOT need either of them.

But yes, you are correct if you do get 2 that is how you would use them.

Here's something more to help.

INTERNAL RAID CARD/PORTS --> Cable To Adapter --> External Adapter (NORCO Mentioned above) --> External CABLE --> External Adapter (NORCO Mentioned above) in JBOD Chassis --> Internal Cable --> EXPANDER --> FAN OUT Cables ---> 4HD on each
(INSIDE Disk Chassis)

INTERNAL RAID CARD/PORTS --> FAN OUT Cable --> 4 HD, 1 on each of the 'fanned out' sata cables.
(INSIDE Server Chassis)

I believe that's correct. Wrote it up quick so verify it, and ask questions.

The other way would be to use
INTERNAL RAID CARD/PORTS --> 8087 Cable, put it through a slot or IO area on both servers, and connect directly to Expander.
- Less Cables
- Less Adapters
- Less Points of Failure
- Less Money
- More headache when pulling chassis, or moving things as you need to get "inside" to disconnect the 2 chassis from each other.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Technically you do NOT need either of them.

But yes, you are correct if you do get 2 that is how you would use them.

Here's something more to help.

INTERNAL RAID CARD/PORTS --> Cable To Adapter --> External Adapter (NORCO Mentioned above) --> External CABLE --> External Adapter (NORCO Mentioned above) in JBOD Chassis --> Internal Cable --> EXPANDER --> FAN OUT Cables ---> 4HD on each
(INSIDE Disk Chassis)

INTERNAL RAID CARD/PORTS --> FAN OUT Cable --> 4 HD, 1 on each of the 'fanned out' sata cables.
(INSIDE Server Chassis)

I believe that's correct. Wrote it up quick so verify it, and ask questions.

The other way would be to use
INTERNAL RAID CARD/PORTS --> 8087 Cable, put it through a slot or IO area on both servers, and connect directly to Expander.
- Less Cables
- Less Adapters
- Less Points of Failure
- Less Money
- More headache when pulling chassis, or moving things as you need to get "inside" to disconnect the 2 chassis from each other.
Not sure you have the 4 HDs with the "fanned out" sata cables connected correctly. The fanned out sata cables (4) in the JBOD chassis will have a 8087 connection at one end that will connect to 1 of the 8087 ports on the NORCO adapter mentioned above. Remember the NORCO adapter has 2 internal 8087 ports and 2 external 8088 ports. Then the external 8088 port will connect to one of the external 8088 ports on the NORCO adapter in the server chassis. Then the internal 8087 port on NORCO adapter in the server chassis will connect to one of the 8087 ports on the 9260-8i raid card in the server chassis.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
You are making this way too difficult.

I'm going to stop posting because I'm confusing myself, and you.

Look at the cables, and follow the path to do it.

I've done exactly this, I know what I'm doing; but! I don't have your cases memorized in my head, and thought you were keeping 1 of the 8087 connectors IN the chassis with the motherboard for the 4 drives. If not, then you could take those to the JBOD just like we did to the expander, but fanout in that chassis.

What you said, is exactly what I said but instead of 1 external cable you're using 2, to put the 4 from the single 8087 in the JBOD, you previously mentioned keeping them (or someone did) in the chassis with motherboard which is how I mentioned it.

Last edited:

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015

I've done exactly this, I know what I'm doing. But I don't know your cases memorized in my head, and thought you were keeping 1o f the 8087 connectors IN the chassis with the motherboard for the 4 drives. If not, then you could take those to the JBOD internally and fanout to them.
That's why I'm advocating he sell his 8i and get an 8e, cleaner and more foolproof. I would not half-ass a 24 drive array

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014

I've done exactly this, I know what I'm doing. But I don't know your cases memorized in my head, and thought you were keeping 1o f the 8087 connectors IN the chassis with the motherboard for the 4 drives. If not, then you could take those to the JBOD internally and fanout to them.
All of the 24 hard drives will be located in the JBOD chassis. So all 24 drives ultimately needs to be connected to the 9260-8i RAID card located in the server chassis.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
That's why I'm advocating he sell his 8i and get an 8e, cleaner and more foolproof. I would not half-ass a 24 drive array
I'm not sure how the rest is going to go if this is such a problem already to be honest. We'll see.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
All of the 24 hard drives will be located in the JBOD chassis. So all 24 drives ultimately needs to be connected to the 9260-8i RAID card located in the server chassis.
You say "So all 24 drives ultimately needs to be connected to the 9260-8i RAID".

Yet, it doesn't matter if they're in the motherboard chassis or JBOD chassis they will ALWAYS be connected to the RAID card doing either of the above mentioned methods.

Avoid the hassle, and get the RAID card that doesn't require 4 adapter cables, and 2 adapters to work :) You're working with 24 drives, so no point in making them have numerous points of failure when it can be avoided. What happens if 1 of the external cables gets lose?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Yes. Yes. Yes. Then he can get CacheCade for $75 add a SSD Pool to the 24 drive array, and be even happier. (Assuming his works as it should unlike mine is right now, haha)

And save $$ maybe even extra from the sale of your card.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ler---LSI-9286-8e-rebrand-w--CacheVault.4895/ isn't that the way to go? Pay $150, get the external ported card, sell the internal one, and simplify? I've reread the posts twice and that seems like it's the cleaner way long term, no?
My point exactly, no point making internal card external if the true purpose was to run drives in another enclosure.
Just another point of curiosity, why not run main setup in the 4U chassis and jbod to 3U?

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
You say "So all 24 drives ultimately needs to be connected to the 9260-8i RAID".

Yet, it doesn't matter if they're in the motherboard chassis or JBOD chassis they will ALWAYS be connected to the RAID card doing either of the above mentioned methods.

Avoid the hassle, and get the RAID card that doesn't require 4 adapter cables, and 2 adapters to work :) You're working with 24 drives, so no point in making them have numerous points of failure when it can be avoided. What happens if 1 of the external cables gets lose?
In the server chassis there are 16 drives and they are already connected to the motherboard and LSI HBA card.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Okay well that makes it make a bit more sense.

It sounds like though you'll need two ports to come off the card to go external to go to the other JBOD expander unless I've been misreading. If so there aren't enough ports on the current card? You'd need one with more ports, like 2int/2ext. If they all need to be in one single raid. Otherwise it still sounds like a second card would be the way to go?

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Okay well that makes it make a bit more sense.

It sounds like though you'll need two ports to come off the card to go external to go to the other JBOD expander unless I've been misreading. If so there aren't enough ports on the current card? You'd need one with more ports, like 2int/2ext. If they all need to be in one single raid. Otherwise it still sounds like a second card would be the way to go?
That is correct.. I need 2int/2ext and that is why I mentioned the 2 port NORCO adapter...