Intel QuickAssist Technology and OpenSSL – Benchmarks and Setup Tips

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
P

Patrick Kennedy

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
This is probably the start of where Add-on FPGA cards will come to play again in the near future. Azure is already using FPGA to help with SDN. instead of a QAT card. Get a FPGA that can do both QAT and other programmable functions.

Chris

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@eva2000 technically you can get this in very cost effective Atom C2358 chips, albeit with a slower QAT engine.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
I'd like to see aes-128-gcm in addition to -cbc. This mode doesn't require a separate MAC, and can use PCLMULQDQ in combination with the AES-NI instructions on newer CPUs to do SW encryption at rates that become limited by memory bandwidth. I suspect that the level of performance intel has managed to achieve with GCM in its current architecture is why they haven't been pushing on-board QAT much lately--the single purpose encryption accelerators are once again having trouble keeping up with the pace of development of the general purpose CPUs. Your AES benchmark graph doesn't have an X label, but assuming it's kbytes, I'd expect haswell/broadwell to be somewhere around 1GB/s/core (roughly double what you're showing for CBC) and skylake to hit several GB/s/core with larger block sizes (completely smoking the QAT CBC results). I'm extremely curious to see how QAT fares at GCM.

eva2000

Apr 15, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
centminmod.com
@Patrick now that OpenSSL 1.1.1 is out openssl.org, any plans to revisit QAT OpenSSL vs software OpenSSL and Nginx HTTP/2 HTTPS SSL benchmarks via h2load HTTP/2 benchmark tool ?

particularly for rsa2048 and ecdsa performance
Code:
openssl speed -multi $(nproc) rsa2048 ecdsap256
FYI, for ECDSA OpenSSL 1.1.1 is up to 40-50% faster than OpenSSL 1.1.0 !

Oh and OpenSSL 1.1.1 is TLS 1.3 ready - Centmin Mod Nginx servers already support TLS 1.3 via OpenSSL 1.1.1 and BoringSSL if you planning to switch back ;) :D

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
FYI, for ECDSA OpenSSL 1.1.1 is up to 40-50% faster than OpenSSL 1.1.0 !
That is not my experience. OTOH, the sha acceleration instructions should dramatically change the aes-cbc-hmac-sha1 comparison for chips that support them (even without getting into aes-gcm). It's disappointing that a more rigorous/less softball evaluation of QAT was never done.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015