Intel P4608 temperature and airflow

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

daniele99

Aug 31, 2019
hello, recently I bought an Intel P4608 6.4 Tb nvme pciex ssd (because it was a low low price)...I installed in a Fractal R5 case (my personal Freenas server with x10sra-f supermicro motherboard, 64 gb of ram, 8x8TB Wd red and Xeon 2697a v4). But I’m little worried about ssd temperature (it’s like 50 degree in idle and 64 degree in writing) because metal heatsink is soooo hot when touched (I measured 59-69 degree with IR thermometer), in fact airflow is not so good especially on pciex slot. Do you know what are temperature specs for this or a method for limiting performance (like low power mode) that are too much for me, and then consequently the heat?

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
I didn't see a specification for the airflow over it either but the specs for power use for your drive say Sequential Avg. 43 W (Write), 24 W (Read). Under reliability on spec sheet it says Operating temperature range 0-35 C. That is an expensive drive and fans are cheap. I would try to put a fan near it to get airflow over it if you can.

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Yes put a fan, consumer cases don’t have airflow like would be available in a rack mount server case, won’t need a lot of airflow I wouldn’t think but something directly over it would be advisable.

Just remember though they are enterprise drives with big performance and use a reasonably large amount of power and don’t run very cool, it will never be like a consumer sata drive cool.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I think both works well, it depend on your case situation. The first options will only cool devices right above the slot its sitting on while the 2nd options (if your case have enough width) can provide airflow to other pci-e devices.

Nonetheless I was surprised that intel nvme actually run that hot, my experience with intel nvme are P3700 and Optane. P3700 seems to run very cool (compared to samsung) but optane does get hot if you are running benchmark with minimal airflow.

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
Check out fan holders in thingiverse. I printed some in ABS that can stick to the case and hold a fan vertically.

Another thing I was considering building is a clip on fan holder for SSD stacks. Or just a vertical stacker with a fan assembly for 2.5 NVMe drives. If someone here as 3d design or openscad experience shoot me a PM.