Intel P3700 800GB - eBay $109 but takes offers

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ccie4526

Jan 25, 2021

Was higher priced earlier in the week but now down near the $100 mark... Seller accepted offer for 2 @ $93.

Go to town if you're looking for some good SLOG/L2ARC space and don't quite have the budget for Optane.

See https://www.servethehome.com/exploring-best-zfs-zil-slog-ssd-intel-optane-nand/ if you're looking for more details on either P3700 or Optane.

Also https://www.servethehome.com/buyers...as-servers/top-picks-freenas-zil-slog-drives/.

Last edited:
Reactions: itronin and zack$

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
dang, wish these had LP brackets.
On my P3605 with LP brackets I used the FH lsi brackets - just needed to use the screws from the p3605 bracket since they are a smaller diameter if my memory serves - pass through the lsi holes and into the threads on the P3605's heat sink. I'll check tomorrow for you if you'd like. again this is for p3605 but I suspect that the mounting is the same on the P3700.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
These days, p3700 and p3605 are pool drives :p
In my opinion, you mostly needs SLOG when you either run a database or a VM on your pool. But those applications you no longer want to run on spinning disks, you want to run them directly on faster storage.

L2ARC, even with persistence functionality is mostly useless, and RAM is cheap. I takes months before I see hit rate above 10% on L2ARC when I have more than 128GB of RAM.

My recommendation today, is to not bother with L2ARC and SLOGs. There are some rare exceptions, but big fast NVME drives are a lot cheaper today and should be used as a pool drive.

aij

May 7, 2017
My recommendation today, is to not bother with L2ARC and SLOGs. There are some rare exceptions, but big fast NVME drives are a lot cheaper today and should be used as a pool drive.
NVMe drives are still ~10x the cost of spinning rust.

For small pools it makes sense. I'm writing this now on a system with a ZFS pool mirrored on two NVMe drives. :)

But I also have a few 14TB drives, and many smaller drives in other systems, and the cost of NVMe makes it hard to justify flat out replacing them all. I haven't tried SLOG or L2ARC yet, but was thinking of experimenting with them. (Current workload is mostly large files where I don't expect as much benefit.)

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
When you factor in the cost of reliability, power, performance and the price of nvme/SSD drives now, there is a good case for overlooking HDDs as your choice for main pool drives these days.

HDDs, however, are still the kings in the backup space (cheap, large and offline data retention)......but this window is closing with the continued decrease in nvme prices and increase in sizes.

In years to come, HDDs may only make sense for their offline data retention.....like tape (history repeating itself).

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
These days, p3700 and p3605 are pool drives :p
Have not even bought sas3 hbas for the last hosts.
12x P3605 cards (2per host) and another set of 6 on the way.

3.2tb just needs to drop in price before im at 30x 1.6tb and out of slots i suppose.

Reactions: itronin

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
In years to come, HDDs may only make sense for their offline data retention.....like tape (history repeating itself).
If you let an SSD or HDD sit in a drawer, then after 5 years you will see alot of retries and slowdowns when trying to read it back. They have no long-term retention and need constant supervision, e.g. through monthly RAID consistency checks or (better) ZFS scrubs. This will be especially bad for SSDs if they have already seen alot of writes. Like 50%+ of their TBW spec, used flash will retain data for a shorter time. Also sensitive to aging are the latest generation of 10 TB+ HDDs, their write patterns are just too tiny. Or helium seal might break.

LTO tape will still be readable after 30 years, because it is designed for that.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Is there any papers/data/metrics concerning reliability of data on offlined HDDs? I remember, vaguely, that with ssds there is a metric of 3 months unpowered.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
I remember, vaguely, that with ssds there is a metric of 3 months unpowered.
The general rule of thumb was 3/12 months by type and temp stored at i suppose.
But id expect that to be minimums considering how i can take ssds that has been sitting in a shelf/box for several years and it boots.

mmk

Oct 15, 2016
Czech Republic
On my P3605 with LP brackets I used the FH lsi brackets - just needed to use the screws from the p3605 bracket since they are a smaller diameter if my memory serves - pass through the lsi holes and into the threads on the P3605's heat sink. I'll check tomorrow for you if you'd like. again this is for p3605 but I suspect that the mounting is the same on the P3700.
I just did the same on a couple of P3605s and a P3700 and can confirm: you can use the LP bracket's screws with an LSI FH bracket. Works fine.

Reactions: itronin