Intel Optane P1600X Small Capacity SSD for Boot Launched

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hetz Ben Hamo

May 16, 2019
I wish the author would have added few words about using this driver as ZFS's SLOG device.... any thoughts about this usage?

Reactions: NateS
Jul 14, 2017
Unlike the older drives of similar capacity. These are x4 not x2 PCIe.

Most of Optane's advantages are inherent to the tech, so AFAIK, there is no reason to assume they won't be at least as suitable as the older drives were and they are not constrained by the x2 link the older similar drives were. Not sure if that's of much significance for a SLOG drive, but I don't think it was a crippling limitation at least at the Home NAS level.

The review doesn't specify if this is the second gen optane chips, but the lack of PCIe 4 would tend to indicate to me that it is not.

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
Unlike the older drives of similar capacity. These are x4 not x2 PCIe.

Most of Optane's advantages are inherent to the tech, so AFAIK, there is no reason to assume they won't be at least as suitable as the older drives were and they are not constrained by the x2 link the older similar drives were. Not sure if that's of much significance for a SLOG drive, but I don't think it was a crippling limitation at least at the Home NAS level.

The review doesn't specify if this is the second gen optane chips, but the lack of PCIe 4 would tend to indicate to me that it is not.
It's first gen Optane media, though that has nothing to do with whether it's PCIe 3 or 4, as that's based on the controller, not the media itself. And I agree that these should make great SLOG devices.

Standard disclaimer: I work for Intel on Optane drives, but I'm not an official Optane spokesperson, just an engineer. My statements should not be considered official statements from Intel. All opinions are my own.

Reactions: T_Minus
Jul 14, 2017
It was a "well if they were using the newest chips, they'd probably be supporting the latest standard" analysis, rather than any technical analysis.