Intel Optane: Hands-on Real World Benchmark and Test Results

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Too bad the ZFSs test couldn't be done :) But promising results...
Need to make a note to get one when they get affordable in a few years;)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
awesome!

I wonder if you could use the m2 in an AIC on a system other than latest gen??

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
not the 100x perf increases that intel advertised but defiantly an amazing increase in performance across the board.
Needs to go in DIMM sockets. That is the endgame. A single drive is not the point of these. It is adding 16-20x to a system and getting more memory capacity then moving into DIMM slots and getting a higher bandwidth/ lower latency interface.

Reactions: gigatexal

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Today the CPU sees QPI, PCIE and the home agent / Memory Controller. My head is still in the North Bridge / South Bridge days. If there were an East Bridge that fed RAM from the backside essentially extending the layered cache model rather than being pumped in through the PCIE lanes directly to the CPU (commonly referred to as magic) then all of the mathematical hocus pocus of guessing which data is needed next for which execution branch could be extended down into the file system.

The words I just typed confuse me. I know we are a bit short on PCIE lanes and the latency of file system vs. RAM is pretty close to infinity. Anything that smartens picking the right bits to be queued up for the RAM seems like it could offer a big boost. OR you could just buy more RAM. and then again I could be completely wrong. The big picture alludes me here. A couple of these as a zfs cache is about as far as my little brain can see.

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
@cliffr can I take from this that it's fast. good for write and mixed. Read may as well stick p3700?

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
Very nice! One small nit: the y-axis in the third graph under "Database" is somewhat unhelpfully titled "Axis title" ;)

Edit: that goes for all the sub-ms % graphs.