Intel Optane A Practical Application Review

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Morphers

Nov 24, 2017
awesome.

I'm looking at replacing an ec2 i3.16xlarge mysql innodb database that is mdadm raid 1 across the 8 nvme drives, i believe, with an on-premise mysql server including 8 u.2 900p 280gb optanes zfs striped with backups to another aic along with 2x 7601 32 core Epycs, 256gb ddr4 2666 . hoping to atleast quadruple my insert/update speed using myrocks vs innodb, and get even faster selects.

Reactions: gigatexal

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
awesome.

I'm looking at replacing an ec2 i3.16xlarge mysql innodb database that is mdadm raid 1 across the 8 nvme drives, i believe, with an on-premise mysql server including 8 u.2 900p 280gb optanes zfs striped with backups to another aic along with 2x 7601 32 core Epycs, 256gb ddr4 2666 . hoping to atleast quadruple my insert/update speed using myrocks vs innodb, and get even faster selects.
is @dba still around? this sounds like his wheel-house

AdrianB

Mar 3, 2017
We replaced NAND based NVMe drives with Intel Optane drives in the STH hosting cluster for a day and saw some dramatic performance differences

The post Intel Optane A Practical Application Review appeared first on ServeTheHome.

Continue reading...
As reported at AnandTech, the new Samsung SZ985 appears to have the same endurance as Intel Optane, 50% better read performance, but 3 times worse write performance.

If that is true, then Samsung SSDs will probably be a better choice for a read-intensive application such as hosting.

One way or another, it seems that increased competition will come for high-performance applications, which can only be good.

jerrytsao

MILAN X P5800X
Sep 11, 2016
Shanghai, CN
As reported at AnandTech, the new Samsung SZ985 appears to have the same endurance as Intel Optane, 50% better read performance, but 3 times worse write performance.

If that is true, then Samsung SSDs will probably be a better choice for a read-intensive application such as hosting.
Unless you have application that is 100% Read on High QD, any mixture with Write P4800X/900P would crush any NAND SSDs, that's where 3D XPoint really shines - mixed performance particularly in workstation/consumer oriented environment (70-80% Read) peaking at a very low QD

Reactions: T_Minus

AdrianB

Mar 3, 2017
Unless you have application that is 100% Read on High QD, any mixture with Write P4800X/900P would crush any NAND SSDs, that's where 3D XPoint really shines - mixed performance particularly in workstation/consumer oriented environment (70-80% Read) peaking at a very low QD
Well, the new Samsung SSD is supposed to be much faster than any existing flash-based SSD, e.g. the write latency is said to be 16 microseconds (in unspecified conditions).

So all the benchmarks comparing Octane with older SSDs are irrelevant. It remains to be seen how Samsung Z-NAND compares to Octane. As Samsung clearly positions it as an alternative to Optane, they seem confident that there will be applications where Z-NAND will be faster.

jerrytsao

MILAN X P5800X
Sep 11, 2016
Shanghai, CN
Well, the new Samsung SSD is supposed to be much faster than any existing flash-based SSD, e.g. the write latency is said to be 16 microseconds (in unspecified conditions).

So all the benchmarks comparing Octane with older SSDs are irrelevant. It remains to be seen how Samsung Z-NAND compares to Octane. As Samsung clearly positions it as an alternative to Optane, they seem confident that there will be applications where Z-NAND will be faster.
Spec does not tell the whole story, latency may improve somewhat on LIGHT LOAD/LOW QD and compare favorably to other high-end NAND SSDs, but if you understand the limitation of NAND Flash versus persistent memory like 3D XPoint, there is no comparison between these two in a realistic environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus and Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@omgwtfbyobbq The more exciting application is being able to use it in DIMM slots but that is some time away still according to rumors I am hearing.

We actually had a setup with something similar using NAND SSDs. The real power is getting 10+ of these drives so you can have TBs rather than a few GB extra.