Intel Optane 905P Series 960GB US$339

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Dec 1, 2012
Would these be the best option for fast and responsive times in cloning and building multiple VM's on a single mirror? (home lab not real prod)

Reactions: Samir

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
For VM's the difference is negligible compared to a fast NVMe. The big difference is latency for read and write for smaller blocks. My recommended use cases having an Optane is.. RocksDB and similar databases, I think Lucene based indexes also would perform great on Optane but I've not tested it , SWAP(even for VM's), Ceph Bluestore MDS(which has RocksDB backend). Basically databases. But for regular SQL databases, Optane is massive overkill again. You may get additional performance having a tablespace for indexes on Optane storage, as indexes requires 5 times more io operations than data.

jasonsansone

Sep 15, 2020
I ordered mine for Ceph WAL/DB, which is RocksDB. As said above, the advantage of 3D Xpoint vs any other NAND is at queue depth 1. Nothing compares for random small block writes. Optane is actually slower than many new high end NVMe for sequential 4M I/O.

To directly answer the question - Yes, Optane will be the most performant option possible for a single RAIDZ1 Mirror to run VM’s, but it’s not the most economical and likely unnecessary unless you plan to run a very large number of VM’s all with concurrent activity.

Reactions: Samir