Intel Optane 800P 58GB and 118GB M.2 SSD Modules Released

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Wahooo higher capacity optane!!!!

oh, wait :D

Very very glad I haven't replaced my SP3 yet! Going to wait until we acn get these a bit bigger in a surface or lapotop... oooh ya :D

BobbyB

Dec 26, 2016
Seems like a product finding it's niche. Too small capacity. For consumer devices, same price of the 118G version buys you an Intel 7600p with 500GB that has same/better on-paper numbers, for enterprise it doesn't make sense.
Late 2018 with DDR-T can't come soon enough, hopefully then Optane (v2?) will show it's true colors, other than 900P is very uninspired to me so far.

EricE

May 11, 2017
My 64GB Optane made a significant difference in the overall feel of my gaming PC, despite it having a Samsung Evo M2 SSD. But not with Intel's software - I never could get it to work. I found PrimoCache and designated the Optane as L2 cache and was off to the races. At $30 for a desktop it was worth every penny. They have a 30 day trial so you don't have to take my word for it.

Indeed I was so impressed with the desktop performance I took an old SSD to use as dedicated L2 cache, threw it into a server where I was having some performance issues due to a vertical market application that had horrible disk speed requirements and saw a dramatic speed increase. I had another Hyper-V host that always had some lackluster disk performance and did the same and the results were pretty amazing as well. At $120 per server, it's by far one of the cheapest and fastest ways to speed up a server, especially if you have some older, smaller SSD's lying around that aren't good for much else.

You can run PrimoCache from the command line (required for free hyper-v server) - it's not obvious and I did stumble across the documentation for it at one point; if someone can't find it ping me back and I'll see if I bookmarked it.

In a lab environment it would probably be even better. Like I said, they have a 30 day free trial so test it out.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
My guess is that the 800p's main role is as a larger cache drive. To bad almost noone benchmark it as a cache drive. Your 2TB consumer SSD will probably perform much better for "enterprise" workloads backed by a 118G Optane Cache. For most people 16-32GB is enough though.

JDM

Jun 25, 2016
Now these are getting to the size where they are acceptably sized for Linux OS drives. Will be moving to these for future custom server builds for sure. The 900P's have been great for VM hosting drives in hypervisor builds. The place where I'm looking for more capacity is for databases :)

Reactions: NateS and T_Minus

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
The $1/GB optane 800p was on ebay for a while: link

Dual 118gb optane VS. dual 400GB intel P3700 as Proxmox boot drive?

Totalfreq

Jul 3, 2021
I'm building a system (chips should be in next week) with 2x 380gb optane m.2 with water blocks as direct cpu cache raid 0 using vroc so that I can cache everything prior to writing to other mediums at 128gb/s. The OS and apps will reside on a hyper v2 x16 card with 4x raid 0 m.2 16gb optane+256gb ssd. My data will remain
Evidence on 2 sets raid 10, WD 10tb 7200rpm. The platteers will have 256mb of precache, but for me it's all loading graphic design and programming.. so importing/exporting or especially doing 3d/VR walkthrough on 500gb+ files before massing geometry or blending textures and objects.

Hopefully it all works as planned I'll update you next week. Intel 900 line goes up to 1.5tb now, but only 960gb on the M.2

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
The $1/GB optane 800p was on ebay for a while: link

Dual 118gb optane VS. dual 400GB intel P3700 as Proxmox boot drive?
Looks like the ebay sellers are watching STH forum. The link and the some other sellers raised the price from $113 to around $130.

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
Intel has new skus with 58 or 118gb and is renaming them to p1600x:
It does look that way, but it's actually not just a simple rename. It actually has a different controller with a x4 PCIe link instead of x2, and the performance specs are a good bit better. And I'm not sure the pricing is public yet, but I believe folks will be pleasantly surprised.

Standard disclaimer: I work at Intel on Optane drives, but I'm not an official Optane spokesman or anything, just an engineer. My statements should not be seen as official statements by Intel. All opinions are my own.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
It does look that way, but it's actually not just a simple rename. It actually has a different controller with a x4 PCIe link instead of x2, and the performance specs are a good bit better. And I'm not sure the pricing is public yet, but I believe folks will be pleasantly surprised.

Standard disclaimer: I work at Intel on Optane drives, but I'm not an official Optane spokesman or anything, just an engineer. My statements should not be seen as official statements by Intel. All opinions are my own.
Will we see a replacement for p4801x?

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
Will we see a replacement for p4801x?
The P5800X is the replacement for both the P4800X and the P4801X.

But did you mean will we see something with similar performance to the P5800X in an M.2 form factor? (U.2 P4801Xs exist, but they're less common, and I think most people think of the P4801Xs as M.2s.) IMO it's not very likely, as 1) most DC customers who previously wanted M.2 now want E1.S instead, and 2) such a drive would be performance limited by the low power limits of the M.2 form factor. An E1.S P5800X is on the roadmap though.

Reactions: zack$