Intel IMDT + Optane (DC P4800X) + EPYC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Raymond Waterman

Nov 19, 2018
I wondered if anyone in these forums knows whether Intel software defined memory technology (IMDT + Optane DC P4800X) will work on an EPYC platform, or is it restricted to Xeon.

I'm software dev considering building a machine for deep learning + video editing + general experimentation with large datasets and I want to make a saving on ECC RAM.

I've noticed that the article on Western Digital Ultrastar DC ME200. This seems to offer a similar solution, and in addition, mentions the mythical Intel Optane DC Persistent Memory becoming available in a few months. However, I get the impression that Intel has been hinting about the arrival of Intel Optane DIMMs for some time without actually delivering.

I'd appreciate any information, observations or recommendations.

cliffr

Apr 2, 2017
It's the DIMMs coming with Cascade Lake in Q1 or Q2 2019. My bet is Q2 although it's shipping to Google and the like now.

I don't think it'll work out of the box with the P4800X but I'm not sure anyone has tried it. Maybe ask ScaleMP?

Reactions: Raymond Waterman