Intel iGPU passthrough possible?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Does anyone know if Intel's QuickSync is supported in a virtualized environment? That is, will the vCPU's you assign to a VM on an QS supported Intel CPU be able to make use of this feature? Mainly interested in doing this in VMware but I'm curious regardless.

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You should be able to pass through iGPU in ESX 6.5 (new feature), but dunno whether this will include QS...

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
I am playing with Intel GPU pass-through (currently XenServer 7, but open to trying ESXi 6.5).
I just don't have any of the apps Intel says are compatible to test and unsure of how to test otherwise:

Intel® Quick Sync Video

Are there any test tools/utilities I can run instead of those apps?
If anyone knows, I'd like to try them out.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Going to revive this old thread
@IamSpartacus did you ever get this working? I am looking for a new platform for my plex server, but would prefer to keep it on VMware.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Going to revive this old thread
@IamSpartacus did you ever get this working? I am looking for a new platform for my plex server, but would prefer to keep it on VMware.
I never purchased the CPU because I couldn't find anyone who could confirm it one way or the other. I'm still running an all Xeon-D cluster.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Also, I haven't tried the alpha version of plex that uses gpu transcoding. But can confirm that emby uses the igpu if the setting is enabled. Cpu utilization doesn't go past 30% with 2 streams. It is a windows VM with 2 vcpu and 4gb ram running plex and Emby.