Intel Ice Lake Xeon Or Amd Epyc Milan?For SQL Sever

wyzdic

Jul 22, 2019
I want to assemble a server, in order to run SQL Server faster, the plan is to buy Milan, but a seller tells my database application to choose Intel will be more fast, I am confused, which one should I choose?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
"it depends"

With an unlimited budget you could get intel systems with 8 cpu sockets and support for 12+ TByte ram (I wrote this because you didn't post about budget or requirements :D)

With a limited budget you have to analyse your workloads and see what's the bottleneck and if you can fix or change it (eg not enough ram -> more io to slower storage -> get faster storage or more ram)

Reactions: Bert

986box

Oct 14, 2017
Why not use one of the cloud vendor? It may not be the cheapest route but you dont not need to deal with space and backup generator.
What version and edition are you planning to use?

KarelG

Jan 29, 2020
Use cloud vendors and benchmark yourself both cpus. It really depends, I'm inclined to bet on Epyc here due to its bigger L3, but it really depends. Size is not everything and I'm not sure how big hot ram for your queries will be. If bigger than either L3, then even Intel may be faster under some conditions.

edge

Apr 22, 2013
It really depends on your specific work load. Higher clocks are a benefit for transactional work while higher core counts and more pcie throughput are a huge advantage for data warehouses and reporting servers if the app is properly written and the server properly configured.

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
It really depends on your specific work load. Higher clocks are a benefit for transactional work while higher core counts and more pcie throughput are a huge advantage for data warehouses and reporting servers if the app is properly written and the server properly configured.
It's other way round. In general, higher core counts for OLTP workload ( if there's no DB licensing constraint) and higher CPU clocks for DWH and reporting servers