Intel EXPX9501AT (XR977) experiences

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Original XR997 with it's screaming fan
[video]http://www.files.laptopvideo2go.com/webpictures/xr997_original.mp4[/video]

And now the 150 ohm resistor doing its job very nicely
[video]http://www.files.laptopvideo2go.com/webpictures/xr997_fanmod.mp4[/video]

Excuse quality, but you get the idea
Video does it no justice, there is a day/night difference.
Placed XR977 between the LSI 9266 and the M1015 also have a GTX 470 video card in the case as well
So far no issues, will leave on all night doing a heap of web work, nothing strenuous but on all the same.

Last edited:

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Overnight run success, is going to keep chugging out data all day today
Gonna be another scorcher too boot, should give the NIC a good workout.

Quite handy given me an incentive to catch up on neglected other work.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
All running very nice and quietly, next thing drivers, the 82598EB drives are quite old, thought I would change this

Latest drivers for X520 etc modified to allow the XR997 to also enjoy them.
Win8 only, I've not tested these on Server 2k12 yet, but would assume these would also work on that.

DriverVer = 12/05/2012,3.3.40.0

It enables a few more settings that the 82598EB driver does not have.

Just a pity Win8 lacks most of the 'profiles', can't enable this, done trickily internally.

Anyone wanting same treatment for Win7 let me know, driver tweaking drivers is what I do best

Last edited:

cafcwest

Feb 15, 2013
Richmond, VA
All running very nice and quietly, next thing drivers, the 82598EB drives are quite old, thought I would change this

Latest drivers for X520 etc modified to allow the XR997 to also enjoy them.
Win8 only, I've not tested these on Server 2k12 yet, but would assume these would also work on that.

DriverVer = 12/05/2012,3.3.40.0

It enables a few more settings that the 82598EB driver does not have.

Just a pity Win8 lacks most of the 'profiles', can't enable this, done trickily internally.

Anyone wanting same treatment for Win7 let me know, driver tweaking drivers is what I do best

That is very awesome - thank you for posting them.

I am building a pair of Win2k12 Servers in two weeks as Hyper-V hosts, with a pair of XR997's directly connected for Hyper-V Live Migration interfaces. I will try your driver and let you know the result.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Just installed a fresh Win8

XR977/82598EB has more features than in Win8 enabled by default.

Upgraded to my driver above, first thing I notice now that PME feature is there and enabled.
Power Management tab is there but nothing useful in there.

Will install ProsetDX and see what happens
Hmmm, installing this (Intel Connections manager) looses some features from the driver.
Still only show 2x profiles, standard and webserver.
Probably better off without Intel connections manager and run the modded driver, so you can tweak more.

Last edited:

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Started getting BSODs when transferring files between computers.
Only when I transferred to/from RAM drives, when the connection would have been maxed out.
Was happening on my main Win8 system.
Changed NICs round still kept happening.
Thought it might have been my modded driver, so reinstalled clean Win8 on another SSD.
This time no isues, may need to do a clean OS install :(

Every storage device of any speed is used at home.
So I setup 2x RAM drives, one on each machine

Copyied the Win8 ISO (4GB)
Default settings 820MB/s (allowing for 1 parity bit per byte) = 7.4Gbps
9014b Jumbo frames 980MB/s (allowing for 1 parity bit per byte) = 8.8Gbps

Very impressive figures from a very basic setup and using a Cat 5 !! 5m x-over cable :D
Win8 on both systems
Setup their IP's, Subnet, and corresponding gateways
Setup a Softperfect RAMDrive on each machine.
Shared both RAMDrives
Test

I've not setup a screen capture app yet
I'm highly impressed with just plain Cat5 cable, that I used 10+ years ago at LAN parties when they were cool.

Last edited:

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Modified DriverVer 1.02 = 12/05/2012,3.3.40.0

v1.01
Removed all other INFs, now XR977/Intel expx9501at only driver.
Modded INF some more
Removed all settings from INF except Intel 82598EB
Added Triple speed can now select down to 100Mbps full duplex
Added Uninstall for 82598EB
'Auto Negociate' now default
Added 'Advanced Power Managemnent' ie wake on packet etc
Removed FCoE, no point as I do believe not support in T based LAN ?

v1.02
Quick install fix, all working as it should

Feedback welcomed

Last edited:

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Was having some issues with my main Win8 setup.
The Hardware change beep became more and more pronounced to a point of becoming a pain.
Only seemed to happen with the XR997 in the machine.
So disabled various devices.
Wasn't until I changed the mouse that all went quiet.

Chucked another mouse in and now I'm laughing.

To celebrate, I've broken the 1GB/s mark in file transfer
Using same 4GB file as above, copied from RAMdisk to RAMdisk

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
how stable is the XR997? I noticed them on ebay for $139 now. that's damn cheap!

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
If you can arrange cooling or put up with the scream I've found the cards to be very stable.

$139 is a good price, almost as good as I got them for.
As you can see they rocket along with a little tweaking.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
yeah i'm curious as to how they perform in an esxi environment. You've got special purpose cards, like fCoe,ISCSI that work with one switch and one equallogic, and these almost seem like they are designed for custom (trading) apps and serving storage (nas to san) given they have bypass modes to vswitch and what is the same as hp virtual connect, then you have plain old cards like these which seem targeted for general purpose use.

I think a lot of the problems come down to those who try to use highly custom cards designed for sniffing,trading, fcoe/iscsi/dcb customizations for general purpose usage. I was hoping this guy would be more a long the general purpose, going to hook up 20 gigabit clients to a pair of 10gbe nic's in a server and have a whack at it.

(Pretty much any card that does FCOE/ISCSI is application specific (1 device in mind), otherwise it is 100% unstable for production. Accelerated ISCSI and FCOE are used by nobody , except perhaps custom protocol gateways and storage concentrator - ie a 3PAR connecting eva's or a windows 2012 gateway converting equal logic iscsi to SMB3).

That's what i've found. I picked up an one of those cards, an emulex oce11102-FM - includes SR optics which are removable - for $150. It appears that is has cool features but you can't use them. The only cool feature I can use right now is the ability to dice each interface into 4 configurable bandwidth interfaces, but i'm not even sure that will work without a custom switch (DCB aka Nexus/Brocade) but worst case we'll see ;)

the latency of 10gbase-T and the fact FCoE and DCB never plan to be implemented indicates a serious malfunction in the desire for this standard to take hold. We know the power is a lot - but I wonder what other factors are problematic? It's been 6 years and 10gbase-T is still too expensive and far inferior to other technologies

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
btw, always rebalance your irq's

do not want USB/ILO/IDRAC sitting on the same IRQ as nic.

Do not want USB (!!) high dpi gaming mouse pulling 5000/interrupts a second on the same irq as 4 nic's.

ALWAYS manually set your IRQ's and balance the cards before installing windows. ESXi and Linux are a bit more forgiving ;)

maxleung

Jul 20, 2011
Hey, any of you guys test XR997s connected directly to a newer NIC, like an X540-T2? I posted before that I couldn't get my XR997s to talk to my X540-T2s at all - they wouldn't link except at 1 gigabit! So I'm wondering if anybody tried it lately?

It would be rather expensive for me to get a $1000 10 gbe switch to see if the XR997s will work on that along with the X540s hehe.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
they work fine nic to nic. each smb2 would do 22% peaking at 62% - we moved it to a switch and it wasn't much different at all.

maxleung

Jul 20, 2011
So you had an XR997 plugged directly into an Intel X540-T2 or something similar, and it detected and worked fine?