Intel Enterprise SSD's -- S3610 480GB ($89.99) -- S3520 960GB ($159.99)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have somewhere in the ballpark of 100 assorted Intel consumer and enterprise SSDs in my lab and have tested hundreds of drives from pretty much every major manufacturer.

While it is true that many low end consumer SSDs are unable to sustain their specified performance for very long, it's equally true that many are cache-less designs which are effectively PLP and sustain steady state performance until the drive is full or exhausts P/E cycles.

I have referred to specifications from the manufacturer's own website and supporting benchmarks for the example I began the discussion with.

I am not particularly interested in discussing this further if will continue to proceed without data or specific implementation details that directly and logically relate the power consumption with any observable quantity.
A bit hypocritical of you to make statements about SSD performance and then not provide any information about tests you conducted, what software you used, etc, and give us an ultimatum about providing you with our data, and tests, etc....

What drives they were, and the most important part... what performance are they sustaining in steady state? Who cares if a consumer drive can "sustain steady state performance until he drive is full" if that performance is terrible.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I love my samsung drives... but I get the enterprise variants because of the tuning for consistency ... and plp

Enterprise drives are meant to have consistent performance at the cost of peak ... consumer drives are meant to have breaks to run GC and cleanup for the next burst.
Oh, don't get me wrong I like them too in my desktops :) I run a lot of Samsung consumer drives in my desktops too, and ran their original NVME for two generations before going to Intel NVME SSD then Optane. However, it can't be denied historically their latency, QOS did not match Intels. This obviously is less\not a concern for desktops ;) but for this site, and this post regarding labs, and enterprise vs. consumer it matters.

I'm still waiting for the proof of a consumer drive at half or lower power keeping up with an Enterprise drive. If that's the case then we can look for other reasons they use more power, but until you prove this is the case I'm going to hold by performance=power.

l.code

Feb 16, 2021
Brought one of this, the Mode SSDSC2BX480G4P (HP version).
It worked fine via a Adaptec RAID 8405 card on a X99 board.
However, after insert it to a Laptop's SATA port, it's capacity shows only 591MB available on Windows 10 .
Emm... it is 480GB available on a WinPE System (installed on a USB stick, Win10 based).
Any clues?

l.code

Feb 16, 2021
special RAID formatted ? try to zero the SSD first.
How to do that?
Tried the `diskpart`[0] commands on the laptop, but no luck.
Besides, tried the upgrade of its firmware via [1]

Or you mean the ` format ` command from [2]?

[0]: What to Do If the Intel® SSD Shows 0 B of Space
[1]: https://downloads.hpe.com/pub/softlib2/software1/sc-windows-fw-drive/p761837385/v171432/cp041298.exe
[2]: Zero Fill SSD Drive: Secure or Not for SSD Performance and Lifespan? (diskpart.com)

l.code

Feb 16, 2021
what do you see in the windows partition-manager ?
On Windows 10 Pro (Normal), its `Preoperties` reads the disk `This device is working properly`, but only shows `(Disk 1 Partition 3)` with 591MB capacity.

Found a newer firmware [0], no luck.

Tried the `diskpart` command on the partition, no luck.

Tried the `Disk` Application on Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop, no luck.

An update is, there were two of S3610 disks, both shows the same problem.

Was wondering, maybe, the disk need to reinstalled to the RAID card to do some `unbind` actions first?

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Aluminat

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
If you use windows try "diskpart" to list information about the disk, volumes, partition etc. but be careful if you use the delete command.

"list [disk|volume|partition]" shows the items windows can find
"select [disk|volume|partition|other stuff]" selects the item on which further commands like "delete" can be used

My experience with adaptec series 8 controllers was that they create a partition that most os interprete wrong (extremly small like a few mb or big like a few 100+ tb)

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Was wondering, maybe, the disk need to reinstalled to the RAID card to do some `unbind` actions first?
if you executed (win10 cmd) diskpart and selected the right disk and done a "clean" command, everything (partitions) is gone.
can you provide a screenshot of win10 partition-manager window please ?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
n Windows 10 Pro (Normal), its `Preoperties` reads the disk `This device is working properly`, but only shows `(Disk 1 Partition 3)` with 591MB capacity
this is only one partition, not the disk capacity.
on the left is the 465.76GB whole capacity. just delete the other partitiion to get they're space free.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
An update is, there were two of S3610 disks, both shows the same problem.
do you boot form this disk ? if yes you can not clean it. must be done bootet drom other drive.
but you see all capacity is there, splitted on several partitions, C(78GB used,33GB free),E(386GB used,118GB free)

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
After reboot the system, it is still the same.
During the process, the `clean` command is ended almost instanlty.
ok if you go into partition-manager: are you asked one drives has to be initialized ??
there is a Drive 0 which can be your SSDSC2BX480G4P or it is not detected for some reason.

l.code

Feb 16, 2021
My experience with adaptec series 8 controllers was that they create a partition that most os interprete wrong (extremly small like a few mb or big like a few 100+ tb)
Seems to be in a similar situation here: On WinPE system (Win10 based, booted from a USB stick), its capacity is 447GB (pls ref attached.)

Attachments

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Seems to be in a similar situation here: On WinPE system (Win10 based, booted from a USB stick), its capacity is 447GB (pls ref attached.)
HD0 480GFJSK is the disk with C(78.43 GB) and E(386.70 GB) partitions, also contains the 591MB part.
WIndows 10 Pro.jpg