Intel DC P3605 Firmware Update?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I just got a pair of 1.6TB Intel DC P3605 NVMe SSDs and was looking to update the firmware. Running the Intel SSD Data Center Tool on them shows the following:

Code:
- Intel SSD DC P3600 Series CVMD4503001M1P6LGN -

Bootloader : 8B1B012E
DevicePath : \\\\.\\PHYSICALDRIVE1
DeviceStatus : Healthy
Firmware : 8DV1RA12
FirmwareUpdateAvailable : No known update for SSD. If an update is expected, please contact your SSD Vendor representative about firmware update for this drive.
Index : 0
ModelNumber : INTEL SSDPE2ME016T4S
ProductFamily : Intel SSD DC P3600 Series

- Intel SSD DC P3600 Series CVMD4503001M1P6LGN -

Bootloader : 8B1B012E
DevicePath : \\\\.\\PHYSICALDRIVE2
DeviceStatus : Healthy
Firmware : 8DV1RA13
FirmwareUpdateAvailable : No known update for SSD. If an update is expected, please contact your SSD Vendor representative about firmware update for this drive.
Index : 1
ModelNumber : INTEL SSDPE2ME016T4S
ProductFamily : Intel SSD DC P3600 Series
As you can see, they show different firmware versions yet no available firmware updates. I can't even seem to find what the latest firmware is for these devices. Any ideas?

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
I just got a pair of 1.6TB Intel DC P3605 NVMe SSDs and was looking to update the firmware. Running the Intel SSD Data Center Tool on them shows the following:

[snip]

As you can see, they show different firmware versions yet no available firmware updates. I can't even seem to find what the latest firmware is for these devices. Any ideas?
I always use a Linux live image with the tool (isdct) to check for firmware updates - the latest for supported products is rolled into the shared libraries. That said, I did randomly stumble over an Intel page listing all the latest firmware versions - I will try to find it again.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I always use a Linux live image with the tool (isdct) to check for firmware updates - the latest for supported products is rolled into the shared libraries. That said, I did randomly stumble over an Intel page listing all the latest firmware versions - I will try to find it again.
You're saying just boot any Linux live image and then install isdct?

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
That did not take as long as I thought it would... here's the page: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000017245/memory-and-storage.html

Latest firmware for the P3600 series is: "8DV101H0 with Bootloader 8B1B0133"

Note that it is not included with the SSD toolbox (Windows) or update tool (live image) - only the Intel SSD DCT. I would give the live Linux image a try, invoking 'isdct' from the shell. It has always worked better for me than the other tools.

Reactions: IamSpartacus

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
You're saying just boot any Linux live image and then install isdct?
In my case, I created a CentOS 7 live image, booted into Gnome, and installed the toolkit package from a second flash drive into /tmp. From there you just need to follow the release guide or parameters printed out by the executable. I cannot remember the exact commands - I think you have to find the index of the drive and run something like 'isdct load -intelssd 0' (for the first drive).

Reactions: IamSpartacus

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I think the p3605 are oracle specific ssds.
There is a thread about them and somebody posted current oracle firmware files.

That mentioned post has firmware files for 8DV1RA13.bin and 8DV1RA11.bin

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I think the p3605 are oracle specific ssds.
There is a thread about them and somebody posted current oracle firmware files.

That mentioned post has firmware files for 8DV1RA13.bin and 8DV1RA11.bin
Do you happen to have a link to that thread?