Intel DC P3520 SSDPE2MX012T7 1.2TB PCIe 3.0 NVME U.2 SSD Warranty 2022 $99.95

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
I just purchased a Intel only VROC hardware key (AOC-VROCINTMOD) to use on my Supermicro x11-spm-tf board with two of these drives. Will let you know if I see a performance increase versus my current software RAID1 connection

Reactions: Samir

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
also just spoke to Shawn, he had some returns so may have more of these drives for sale

Reactions: Samir

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
also, anyone notice that these drives have a max 35C temp. Any tips on keeping these cold besides running a fan in front of them?

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
anyone notice that these drives have a max 35C temp
Intel is weird like that. 35C is not the max operating temperature of the drive itself. Instead of providing a single number for the max temperature in absolute units they provide a table of airflow in LFM recommended at specific ambient temperature levels.

So 35C is the max ambient temperature that Intel provided required airflow value for (650LFM for the 1.2Tb).
The actual drive temperature at which it starts throttling is about 55C IIRC.

Reactions: JoshDi

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
Intel is weird like that. 35C is not the max operating temperature of the drive itself. Instead of providing a single number for the max temperature in absolute units they provide a table of airflow in LFM recommended at specific ambient temperature levels.

So 35C is the max ambient temperature that Intel provided required airflow value for (650LFM for the 1.2Tb).
The actual drive temperature at which it starts throttling is about 55C IIRC.
thank you! I saw the same drive in the PCIe form has a 55C max ambient temperature rating.

I just picked up two more of these (total of 4) to use with a Supermicro AOC-SLG3-8E2P card.

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
Alright so I ditched the 2 port U.2 card I was using and replace it with a AOC-SLG3-8E2P. It works fine with the supermicro Oculink to U.2 cables without a backplane.

I plan on using it with 4 of these drives and an Intel VROC Key (the Intel only drive keys are going for around 40 usd, rather than 109 or 200+ for the standard and premium keys.

Iaroslav

Aug 23, 2017
Kyiv
Yes. We run them in 24x hot-swap chassis with NVME backplanes.

Not cheap, but the only way to go for >4 NVME drives.
Is there any possibility to buy chassis only? As official position is to sell Complete System Only, but I'm not much interested in overpriced basic parts.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Is there any possibility to buy chassis only? As official position is to sell Complete System Only, but I'm not much interested in overpriced basic parts.
Used only, forums, ebay, reddit.

I have one or 2 of those kits NIB here someplace if someone has a need I haven't found an Intel Chassis again to put them in so I'd be willing to trade or sell them.

Reactions: Iaroslav

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019

I have one or 2 of those kits NIB here someplace if someone has a need I haven't found an Intel Chassis again to put them in so I'd be willing to trade or sell them.
do you have the dimensions of the 8x2.5in drive bay? Wondering if I can squeeze one into my Thermaltake V21 case

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
I haven't found an Intel Chassis again to put them in
don't these fit into any R2000 chassis? Also if you prefer pedestal (tower) chassis - Intel has a kit for P4000 with the same sas/nvme combo backplane. So you could buy a cheap sas cage and swap the backplane.

For anyone else interested Amazon has that combo kit (cage and backplane) for $183 shipped (w/ Prime).

Last edited:

Iaroslav

Aug 23, 2017
Kyiv

Yeah, you're right. Few members definitely sold these here on STH earlier. No luck on ebay.
Intel is an option, but I need it for a production server, so complete chassis from SM fits much better

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
don't these fit into any R2000 chassis? Also if you prefer pedestal (tower) chassis - Intel has a kit for P4000 with the same sas/nvme combo backplane. So you could buy a cheap sas cage and swap the backplane.

For anyone else interested Amazon has that combo kit (cage and backplane) for $183 shipped (w/ Prime).
I wasn't clear.
I haven't found one at a price point that made sense ;) for me.

I have the SAS\SATA kits too, at some point in the future I'll compare them, but my Intel NVME kit is NIB so may not open it unless I install it in a P4000 of which I have 2 here not in use, so not going to be soon ;) LOL!

azev

Jan 18, 2013
i too have been looking for ways to install up to 8x U2 NVME drives in a system and the best solution I found at this time is 2x ToughArmor MB699VP-B and Supermicro AOC-SLG3-8E2P card. My biggest concern is that most enterprise U2 NVME usually run very hot and the cooling solution that the MB699VP-B does not seem to be enough to cool 4 blazing hot U2 NVME.

I also thought about finding a case with many drive slot (non hot swap) and just run direct cable to the drive without hot swap feature. I am hoping supermicro will come up with 8x NVME bay that can be installed in regular 2x 5.25" bay like its sas counterpart.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
@azev I have 1 of the MB699VP-B I got from @William
I believe he tested them for STH, there's an article someplace on it :)

I haven't used it yet, lol... but I'd imagine those 2 fans can get up to speed and probably cool them pretty good. May be worth asking ? them.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I don't think those thin fans have enough pressure to pull enough air through the front of the enclosure, even if they aren't super quiet I doubt as a consumer item that they're rated to spin fast enough to generate enough SP.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
@T_Minus Similar to frogtech comment, I am not sure those tiny fan can properly cool quad Oracle F320 U2 SSD for example. I've seen some picture of MB699VP-B without the fan on, and all you can see is backplane PCB board without any cut out. This mean the fan have to pull air around the backplane and require some serious static pressure to be effective.

Like in my previous comment, since I rarely have to hot swap the drives anyway, I think I will find me a case with many drive slot positioned right behind the intake fan. This is all for the sake of making sure the U2 NVME temp are under control.

I had a bad experience with XS1715 (1.6TB) ssd smart health score dropped from 100% to 78% when I let it get up to over 60 degress Celsius for only a few weeks. It was summer, and my home central ac had issues and not cooling the house properly. I think my home office ambient temperature was around 90F during the hottest day. I am not sure if heat is the cause, but I've modified my case to use dual noctua 140MM in push pull setup for the drive bay. Today a few years later, and many TB writes and the drive still showing the same health.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015

What I said was:

"I believe he tested them for STH, there's an article someplace on it :)
I haven't used it yet, lol... but I'd imagine those 2 fans can get up to speed and probably cool them pretty good. May be worth asking ? them."

To be clear, I suggested that they would be sufficient and told you two places to find further information on the subject.

You can claim they won't work but unless you've talked to someone who's run them, and tested them, and the manufacturer to understand WHAT the limits may be (maybe 15w) then we'll just never know.

25 watt drives are going to require a great amount of direct air flow, the majority of other 2.5" NVME require much much less.