Intel Core i3-8300 Benchmarks and Review The Dark Horse Low Cost Server Processor

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
@marcoi do you need to upgrade for any reason?
Not really other then getting the upgrade bug and wanting to play with something new... I guess from a pratical perspective, using less juice is also a consideration since the box is idle most of the time.

I guess I am just trying to see if the move to a newer platform would make sense and then see what the older hardware would fetch to offset the newer stuff costs.
I think if the net difference in cost is less then 300ish I might go for it. Over that i would have to consider if the platform upgrades (lower Idle/better perf,etc) would be worth it.

Update:
I just did a quick compare of pricing.
selling off the old MB/CPU and Ram at current ebay prices is roughly 500ish assuming someone buys it.
New MB, i3-8100, 4x16GB ddr4-26xx mem before tax and shipping is roughly 1300. so double the costs of old hardware.
I would get 2x memory, maybe a little better performance and idle power and an extra pci slot over current setup. For my use case not sure it is worth the price difference.

Last edited:

Krobar

Aug 25, 2012
Hey all have been using the exact reviewed combo of I3-8300 and X11SCA-F for a 2 months now and after the Linux IOMMU fix it has been a really good platform.

I am one of those users who needs the IGP; I use the IPMI video for boot and host OS and then the IGP is passed through to a Windows Kodi VM which does HD video with DTS-HD/TrueHD streaming for my home theatre.

Last edited:

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Hey all have been using the exact reviewed combo of I3-8300 and X11SCA-F for a 2 months now and after the Linux IOMMU fix it has been a really good platform.

I am one of those users who needs the IGP; I use the IPMI video for boot and host OS and then the IGP is passed through to a Windows Kodi VM which does HD video with DTS-HD/TrueHD streaming for my home theatre.
Wow that’s a really compelling usecase. I didn’t know you could pass through the igp

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
I'm curious if the previous generation x11 supermicro boards would work with these chips...

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
I noticed that recently after my post. Thank you!

@Geran You can’t officially use Coffee Lake CPUs on the C232/C236 chipset motherboards. C232 is analogous to the B150 and C236 to the Z170. The C246 is analogous to the Z370. While there were basically no major architectural changes between Skylake -> Kaby Lake -> Coffee Lake, Intel claims that due to increased power requirements the Z370 uses a new LGA 1151 revision.

On the consumer side, some modders were able to get Coffee Lake to work on the Z170/Z270 with some caveats.

Reactions: Geran