Intel C606 Chipset SAS compatability with FreeNas

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Firemad

Jan 8, 2017
Looking at an ebay server with this motherboard: Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9DR3-LN4F+

Curious if I need a raid card since it has 8x SAS connections on the mobo under the Intel C606 chipset.

The OS of choice for me currently is FreeNAS

I can save $100 or so using the mobo SAS instead of buying a card if it won't be a problem.
I builded a Freenas server with this motherboard and I can confirm that the C606 is compatible and working fine. I loaded 8 x HDD on it ;)

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I builded a Freenas server with this motherboard and I can confirm that the C606 is compatible and working fine. I loaded 8 x HDD on it ;)
I know this is old thread, but hoping you might reply. Did the HDD connected to the C606 show up as directly attached or did you have to put them in a single drive RAID-0?

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
@Firemad,
Did you use Freenas direct or as a VM under Esxi? I understand the C606 chipset cannot be passthrough to a VM under ESXI?