Intel C202, C204, C206 Xeon E3 Bromolow Motherboards Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just generally speaking here, I don't have both but one needs to weigh how long the CPU will be used versus probably a maximum of 5-8w at idle.I look at 1w = $1/ yr and figure I will replace in 24-36 months so the T version is worth $10-24 more to me. Somehow I only ran the AC once this summer in northern California, which makes me not consider ambient cooling costs much (and I assume my labor to open a window in the spring and close it in the fall is "free.")

fnc1

Sep 23, 2011
So PigLover / Patrick...

Are you saying that the Idle of both CPU's would be the same? roughly 5-8W? and that the 65W vs 35W is what the FAN/Cooling requirements are at max cpu temps?

patrick.. $10-24 is about the range of these chips.... so...???

If thats true then maybe the g530 (celeron) would be a good choice?
Click here: Comparison of 5 CPUS

Also looking at Intel's site for the G530 for the Multimedia Instructions it only lists SSE 4.1/4.2 Does this mean it will include all the previous ones, like the G840 (MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4(4.1,4.2), EM64T. )

Last edited:

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
You need as in other thread a Xeon E3-1220L 20w TDP
2 cores with HT, 2.2Ghz max Turbo 3.4Ghz

All models support: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST), Intel 64, XD bit (an NX bit implementation), TXT, Intel VT-x, Intel VT-d, Turbo Boost, AES-NI, Smart Cache.
Memory Specifications
Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 32 GB
Memory Types DDR3-1066/1333
# of Memory Channels 2
Max Memory Bandwidth 21 GB/s
ECC Memory Supported Yes

fnc1

Sep 23, 2011
soobaerodude: Thanks that was a helpful link, It did bring to light something that put a kink in my plan though, They said that the G650's only support 1066 and not 1333 http://ark.intel.com/products/53480/

But I'm guessing, that it will still work, will it? Any other comments?

Groove: If you see this, I saw you used the supermicro board, what memory specifically are you using?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
1333 memory will work at 1066. Speed wise you aren't going to notice that much of a difference in your application. Kingston sells both 1333 C9 and 1066 C7 IIRC. My guess is that they are very similar and you are sacrificing latency for speed.

groove

Sep 21, 2011
soobaerodude : I just got delivery my board and memory yesterday. The G620 runs just great on the supermicro X9SCM.

AFA memory goes - I picked 2 sticks of the following :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139077

I'm running memtest86+ ver 4.20 and so far no errors.

The only problem I have is that memtest86 is reporting ECC is 'Off' even though I've verified that its 'Enabled' in the BIOS. Not sure why. But I am concerned now, since one of the reasons why I went with a server based board was because I wanted the extra protection offered by ECC memory. I did try to turn on ECC within memtest's configuration. But that did not work either. At this point I'm sure if it's an issue with Memtest or whether the G620 does not support ECC.

Other than the above, the above combination has been running rock solid for the last 24 hrs and I really like the setup so far. The stock fan of the CPU is fairly silent and I can only hear a slight whrrr when the board powers on. But that lasts for a few seconds and dies down once thermal management kicks in.

Next step - get KillAWatt and measure Watts consumed :) !

Last edited:

fnc1

Sep 23, 2011
the g620 does indeed support ECC.

I have run across someone else saying the same thing with memtest86
their answer was to run, cpu-z (if your running windows could you try it out and see what it says?) (if your not running windows, i saw cpu-z can be made into a portable app so you could install this http://www.pendriveapps.com/sardu-multiboot-usbcddvd-builder/ on a thumb drive and run it from there(im gunna work on one of these)
check on the spd tab like this pic and the upper right hand corner shows correction.

Last edited:

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Integrated Intel® HD graphics is not supported on the Intel® Xeon E3-1230, E3-1240, E3-1270 or E3-
1280 Processors.
Intel® Xeon E3, Intel Core i3 and Intel Pentium processors can support either ECC or non-ECC memory;
Intel® Core i5/i7 processors only support non-ECC memory.
From HP PDF for their SFF workstations
I wonder why Intel added ECC to lower end CPU's but not for higher end ?

fnc1

Sep 23, 2011
Groove: you could have saved 8 bux, with the memory here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139362
since the chip says it only supports 1066

(....but im looking at the same speed you bought)
They also have a 8gb (2x4G set of the same one you bought but it costs .01 more)

When you do your kill-a-watt tests, can you list out all the hardware?
And maybe even pull things out then add them back one at a time...
like have only mb/cpu&fan/mem/ps
then add the os drive
then add what ever controllers your using
then add 1 of your storage media
then add the rest of your storage media..

Last edited:

SweetAction

Sep 14, 2011
I am in the process of ordering parts for an intended VMware ESXi 4.1 server for home/test/study.

So far I have started ordering from the USA:

Tyan S5512GM4NR motherboard
Crucial 16G (2x CT2KIT51272BA1339) memory

I haven't decided on a case+PSU yet.
I haven't been able to find any of the E3-12x0 CPUs in Australia yet.
Plenty of listings for E3-12x5 with the GPU that would be a waste.
I checked that the Intel 82574L NICs should work with ESXi.

Does anyone know if the Tyan S5512GM4NR onboard SATA will work with ESXi ?
Has anyone installed ESXi on a C204 based motherboard ?

I just bought the same mobo and memory for my esxi build. I am still trying to figure out how to get the onboard SATA to work. I have had no luck. Anyone else know about this?

emc

Sep 15, 2011
SweetAction ... the onboard ich10r on the S5512 should work in ESXi .... mine does on my S5510 (basically same MB both C204). If you are referring to actually being able to use the ich10r in RAID mode then you are correct that it does not work. ESXi does not support software RAID. The ich10r ports will be "useable" in ESXi as IT type ports. If you need RAID 1 to boot from (guessing what you may be looking for) you will need either a hardware RAID card (Dell 5i, etc) or a SATA connected RAID device (such as ICY DOCK MB982SPR-2S)

KnowledgeProblem

Oct 14, 2011
Hello everyone. Newly registered here because I am putting together a new server based on a C20x chipset and have been absolutely stumped by the elephant in the room with regard to memory: 32 GB maximum supported, but only 4 slots? Where are the 8 GB ECC UDIMMs?

I'm happy to see a couple messages in this thread expressing a similar frustration. I've only run into a few very shady looking options (such as one guy on eBay claiming to be selling 8 GB unbuffered ECC modules). I don't feel it's worth the risk.

The question is: how long do we conjecture it will be before reputable vendors (e.g., Newegg or direct manufacturer sources such as Corsair, Crucial, and Kingston) offer 8 GB ECC UDIMMs?

It's 2011! I don't want to put together a server with anything less than 32 GB. I'd like Intel to apply some heat on their memory partners. 16 GB as a practical maximum for what is currently the "prestige" processor (if not necessarily the enterprise choice) is sad!

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
You'll be wanting some:

Samsung M391B1G73AH0-CH9
SuperMicro LGA1155 Mobo tested RAM

or

SEC K4B4G0846A-HYH9
Tyan LGA1155 Mobo tested RAM

or you could get an Intel 34x0 based chipset Mobo with 6x RAM slots
Then you could have 24GB

Now all you have to do is find them :)

Last edited:

groove

Sep 21, 2011
X9SCM and LSI 3442 do not seem to work.

Well, I ran into my first real issue with the X9SCM. I have an LSI 3442 that's been working just fine for the last 2 years on a Intel P915 that was serving up my old file server. Well I got my new disks yesterday and shut down my file server to pull the 3442 and install it on my X9SCM. Come to find out that the X9SCM does not recognize or initialize the 3442 :mad:. It does not invoke the 3442's BIOS and even after booting, the 3442 does not get recognized by the OS either. When I put the 3442 back on the P915, it works just fine.

Will be contacting SuperMicro to see if they can help me. I was really hoping to use the 3442 in my new build. I need the extra ports. If anyone has any pointers on things to try, then please let me know. I tried all the various combination of PCIe Bios settings. Nothing helped. If there is some specific setting that someone know that helps get PCIe Gen 1.0 controllers to work on the X9SCM, that would be great.

Thanks
Groove

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Do the Controller BIOS's combine possibly ?
I thought yesterday I read somewhere that when you boot both controllers would be available in the one Option ROM
Could be wrong as I was looking for something else at the time.

Does the card show in your OS at all, Windows may show it with a yellow warning.
You changed the card to a higher priority PCie slot or even a lower priority ?

I tried my PCIe 2.0 LSI card and it won't boot at all with it in the PCIe16x slot in the i915 Mobo.

groove

Sep 21, 2011
I just have one 3442. I've set the on board controller to ACHI mode. So on board controller's bios does not seem to get activated. But internally they might be occupy the same address space.

The card does not show up at all in OpenIndiana / Solaris 11 (it does on the P915 and on an Asus Z8NA-D6C).

Have not tried Slot priority (did not realize that it would matter). Will try that next. But the card just does not seem to be 'visible' on this board.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Priority only matters really with Graphics cards and slot 1, but you never know.

When you set the Mobo controllers to AHCI all that happens is that the Option ROM is not loaded (bit where you set RAID etc)
The actual BIOS is still loaded or the drives wouldn't work, only disabling the controller it self will stop the BIOS from loading.

You seem to have the reverse of my i915 issue, mine all it sees is the controller and does't boot, yours boots but no controller.
We should join forces and defeat the evil controllers :)

Start simple, turn every thing off (for the sake of seeing if it will work at all), ie if you can disable the onboard controller etc.
If you have onboard video use that instead of PCIe card.
Should it work then add things back in.

You may need to have a bootable USB OS to test on.
command line sas2flash -o -listall (sas2flsh for DOS) is a good place to start to see if it's connected