Intel C202, C204, C206 Xeon E3 Bromolow Motherboards Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

meatincereal

Jul 20, 2011
Has anyone actually tested running 8GB RDIMMs in any of the C20x boards?
I'd really like 32GB to spread across my VMs instead of only 16GB. After some googling I found this:

http://www.supermicro.com/a_images/flyer/f_x9_up.pdf
CTRL+F -> RDIMM

could just be a small error, but I also found on the anandtech forum some guy claiming in his signature to have 32 GB ECC memory on a C206 board:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=31781905&postcount=3

AFAIK there aren't any 8GB UDIMMs out yet, so in theory that has to be 8GB RDIMM, right?

amo

Jul 7, 2011
Has anyone actually tested running 8GB RDIMMs in any of the C20x boards?
I'd really like 32GB to spread across my VMs instead of only 16GB. After some googling I found this:

http://www.supermicro.com/a_images/flyer/f_x9_up.pdf
CTRL+F -> RDIMM

could just be a small error, but I also found on the anandtech forum some guy claiming in his signature to have 32 GB ECC memory on a C206 board:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=31781905&postcount=3

AFAIK there aren't any 8GB UDIMMs out yet, so in theory that has to be 8GB RDIMM, right?
C20x boards do not work with RDIMM, you just found mistype in SuperMicro poster.

Synthetickiller

Jul 16, 2011
Well, I've hit a massive roadblock.

I bought 4x16gb RDimms for my board. Doesn't work. I have 3x4gb dimms on the way (got a deal on them).

I really can justify using 64gb of RDimm. Now I'm confused about what to do. This is frustrating.

Tylersburg works w/ 16gb dimm sticks, so why wouldn't anything new?

meatincereal

Jul 20, 2011
Has anyone found any proper reviews for the Intel S1200BTL?

It's in interesting board that I'm considering for a potential all-in-one conf with the ESXi + Solaris data store on a PCI RAID1 card. Then I could pass through the onboard SATA + PCIe devices (4 of them!) to the Solaris VM.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I've asked about getting review samples, but it appears to be a no-go. Will see if I can pick one up though.

meatincereal

Jul 20, 2011
Hey, any ETA on the review or news on if there will be any? My build might be based on what you say in your review :D

Love this site <3

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
It might take a bit. I'm still finishing this vPro piece which is huge (4,000+ words and 20+ pictures at the moment spanning the last three vPro generations.)

On that board though, I would STRONGLY suggest looking at something Supermicro or Tyan (possibly ASUS.) Without KVM-over-IP you are either stuck without a solid remote management solution OR paying a ton for the AXXRMM4 or AXXRMM4LITE.

MiltF

Aug 17, 2011
Problems with onboard video on P8B WS w/c206 chipset

I am attempting to build a server with Asus P8B WS and Xeon E3-1235, and I can't get onboard video to work. Starting with cleared CMOS, the board boots looking for a pcie card and the only video output is with a graphics card. If I then change the gpu setting to igpu (which I assume is internal GPU), I get no video at all. This is after upgrading the BIOS. Before I upgraded the BIOS, I got one boot with onboard video but after rebooting, it was gone.

This seems like a problem with the board and not the cpu. Has anyone else tried this implementation and had a similar experience. I am struggling not to just put in a gpu and run it that way (because I'm stubborn I guess and it's Sposed to work!)

pir2

Aug 3, 2011
Have a similar set up with a E3-1245. It worked for me. I didn't touch any of the Video settings, just left them as is and works fine. I'm on BIOS 0605

For those looking for AMT, this board does not currently have the feature enabled. Still waiting for a reply from Asus, but i doubt it will get implemented.

I am attempting to build a server with Asus P8B WS and Xeon E3-1235, and I can't get onboard video to work. Starting with cleared CMOS, the board boots looking for a pcie card and the only video output is with a graphics card. If I then change the gpu setting to igpu (which I assume is internal GPU), I get no video at all. This is after upgrading the BIOS. Before I upgraded the BIOS, I got one boot with onboard video but after rebooting, it was gone.

This seems like a problem with the board and not the cpu. Has anyone else tried this implementation and had a similar experience. I am struggling not to just put in a gpu and run it that way (because I'm stubborn I guess and it's Sposed to work!)

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia

Like the poster above me we're using an E3-1245 and the P8B WS, using only the CPU's GPU and it's all working fine - original bios was 04-something, updated to 0605 and still working fine.

brendanz

Jul 10, 2011
Quick question,

Has anyone used an Areca 1880i on the Asus P8B-WS board? Any success? I've heard about some major issues with LSI cards in this board, just hoping that the Areca may be a bit better??

Also, someone mentioned something about the guy over at Anandtech with 32GB in his signature. I've asked a couple of questions to him in the thread below to try and get some more info from him about memory compatibility.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=32209760&posted=1#post32209760

Hoping to use those 2x8GB ADATA modules for $400USD.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
The issues with LSI cards comes down to LSI's firmware practices, example when they switched to a compressed firmware image it created a lot of incompatibilities with many motherboards. Areca may be using LSI chips these days but comparing the cards on a compatibility basis is still apples and oranges - unlike most of LSI's OEM partners whom they write the firmware for, Areca designs their own boards and writes their own firmware (and historically superior code based on the performance differences I've seen when benching an Areca vs. LSI that shared the same RoC, or Areca vs. Adaptec that shared the same RoC). I would be very surprised if the 1880i did not work on your Asus board. Worst case you've got 30 days to return the card.

Last edited:

brendanz

Jul 10, 2011
Thanks very much for the reply Odditory. Fantastic stuff.

Looks like I'll probably move ahead with the purchase of this board. Wish I could have an x16 PCIe and an x8 PCIe at the same time though!! Ah well.

Edit: Oh, before I buy it I might just see if anyone has had success with the 2x8GB memory posted earlier, as I don't really want to be the first!!! hehe.

Last edited:

Mr. F

Sep 5, 2011
Has anyone with a P8B WS had a chance to check on VT-d support with ESXi?

It looks like ASUS has just (25-Aug-11) released BIOS 0704 for this board, which seems to address an issue with ECC RAM configuration, while the previous 0605 BIOS noted support for VT-d. It would seem that these two BIOS updates address most of the complaints I've read from users of this board.

Vague release notes are great and all, but I'd really be interested to know if anyone has had explicit success or failure in using the VT-d function of this board with a Xeon E3 series CPU and BIOS 0704.

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
Has anyone with a P8B WS had a chance to check on VT-d support with ESXi?

It looks like ASUS has just (25-Aug-11) released BIOS 0704 for this board, which seems to address an issue with ECC RAM configuration, while the previous 0605 BIOS noted support for VT-d. It would seem that these two BIOS updates address most of the complaints I've read from users of this board.

Vague release notes are great and all, but I'd really be interested to know if anyone has had explicit success or failure in using the VT-d function of this board with a Xeon E3 series CPU and BIOS 0704.
I updated to 0704 today and there is now an option for ECC RAM in the BIOS - the settings are "Auto" or "Disabled". VT-D works fine, just as it did in 0605. CPU is an E3-1245.

Mr. F

Sep 5, 2011
I updated to 0704 today and there is now an option for ECC RAM in the BIOS - the settings are "Auto" or "Disabled". VT-D works fine, just as it did in 0605. CPU is an E3-1245.
Cool, thanks for the info! What kind of devices are you using with VT-d, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm torn between the P8B WS and the Tyan SS5512 with onboard LSI2008. I'm leaning toward the Tyan, but willing to give the Asus a shot since I already have an IBM M1015 card lying around. In either case, I want solid VT-d support so I can pass a NIC and an LSI2008 directly to a VM running my filer.

Mr. F

Sep 5, 2011
Also, has anyone managed to get remote management (Intel AMT?) working on the P8B WS? I'm not clear on whether or not it's included/functional based on specs and user discussion.

Newegg just made the decision much tougher by sending me a 20% off code for Supermicro or ASUS server motherboards... and here I am leaning toward the Tyan.