Intel C202, C204, C206 Xeon E3 Bromolow Motherboards Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ChillyPenguin

Apr 27, 2011
No vt-d on p8b ws confirmed

I understand that asus does not mention vt-d explicitly, but the cpu and chipset specs do. I got an email from asus confirming that they chose not to enable vt-d on the p8b ws. My board is going RMA today.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Other consumer vendors may choose to have a VT-d option, but for companies like Asus, they want you to purchase their Workstation/Server Line of products....they make more money on those :)

Sucks....but such is life.

XZed

Feb 3, 2011
Other consumer vendors may choose to have a VT-d option, but for companies like Asus, they want you to purchase their Workstation/Server Line of products....they make more money on those :)

Sucks....but such is life.
It confirms me to concentrate on real server-grade brands (SuperMicro, Tyan...)... Indeed, initially, i found appealing such (Asus) line of products but after reading so many articles, i understood that i'd respect one statement :

Server entry level always would be better than Consumer high level.

Hope i didn't frustate anyone :), but i'm really considering these words : all posts i read on this forum lead me to this conclusion.

vv111y

May 6, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
Anyone know whether the new 22nm 3D transistor Ivy Bridge CPU's will be 1155 socket compatible?

I've got no old gear and I'm about ready to build 2 new servers (openindiana/zfs/?ESXi) and thought it's a good time to go with new Sandy Bridge. But this news changes things. If the CPU's are compatible then (hopefully) I can keep the rest of the gear and only swap out the CPU's when the time comes. Any issues re: ram, pci, features, etc?

dpante1s

Apr 12, 2011
Just for your information: Intel Xeon E3-1230 running on my Asrock P67 Extreme4 (Consumer) board now... no problems from the start so far

XZed

Feb 3, 2011
Most likely they would add an NF200 chipset to add more lanes.
Official answer from SuperMicro :

The Intel C204 chip has PCie 2.0 x8 or 2x x4 link. The PCIe x16 slot on X9SCA is coming from Intel Sandy Bridge E3 or 2nd generation Core i3 CPU not from PCH. There has no PCIe bridge on this board, the x16 signal is link to CPU directly.
When i compare to Tyan block diagram : Tyan also links pci-e x16 slot directly to Sandy Bridge CPU... but still keeps @ x8 only

Or does it mean that SuperMicro achieves this (full x16) by dispatching pci-e lanes between SB chip and Intel PCH ?

ubiquityman

Mar 18, 2011
This motherboard and BIOS does support VT-d, however, VT-d is not supported on this board with E3-series CPUs.
That seems to be a nonsense response.
If it's not supported on the E3 CPUs, then what is it supported on?

draftversion

May 13, 2011
I would like to buy a base Dell PowerEdge T110 II server because they are so cheap. The motherboard is based on the C202 chipset. Does anyone know whether I can replace the stock i3 processor with an i7 2600k?

Thanks!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have had success with the C20x boards from other vendors (not Dell) and swapping in i5/i7 chips. Dell does do some funny lock-out stuff, but it would be interesting if it works.

fr33zm4n

May 14, 2011
Hi,

One board isn't mentioned at all here.
I found this one:GA-6UASL3.

What do you think about?
This is to build an esxi server.

The issue: my local vendor can't find any distributor.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Gigabyte sent me a note the other day about looking at their server boards, but I have not had the chance to test one yet. They are harder to find.

My big thought on that model is it does not appear to have IPMI 2.0/ KVM-over-IP. I would strongly suggest looking at a board with that feature.

fr33zm4n

May 14, 2011
Gigabyte sent me a note the other day about looking at their server boards, but I have not had the chance to test one yet. They are harder to find.

My big thought on that model is it does not appear to have IPMI 2.0/ KVM-over-IP. I would strongly suggest looking at a board with that feature.
Thanks,

Yes you are right, that feature is missing. In fact not so critical this is for home/lab use only. And with the Gigabyte board it could have been used also as a gaming rig afterwards. :cool:

Michael Logies

Apr 8, 2011
Our experiences with the Asus-Board "P8B WS" (with chipset Intel C206) are extremely disappointing so far. There seems to be no way to get a RAID1 with 3 TB harddisks running (3 TB: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 HUA723030ALA640). A smaller RAID1 (500 GB) is working. Asus told us that all Intel-Chipsets (C202, C204, C206) don`t run such a big RAID1 at the moment. The Intel support didn`t offer any help. A separate RAID-controller (from Dawicontrol) didn`t help. Here it seems that Intel or Asus are delivering hardware "defect by design".

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Our experiences with the Asus-Board "P8B WS" (with chipset Intel C206) are extremely disappointing so far. There seems to be no way to get a RAID1 with 3 TB harddisks running (3 TB: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 HUA723030ALA640). A smaller RAID1 (500 GB) is working. Asus told us that all Intel-Chipsets (C202, C204, C206) don`t run such a big RAID1 at the moment. The Intel support didn`t offer any help. A separate RAID-controller (from Dawicontrol) didn`t help. Here it seems that Intel or Asus are delivering hardware "defect by design".
Just receive a P8B WS last night and will confirm. Thanks for the heads up.

Michael Logies

Apr 8, 2011
It`s even worse (P8B WS): If a RAID1 (500 GB) is actice, the 3 TB harddisks cannot be used at full capacity even as single disks. Capacity is under 800 GB then. Full capacity of disk can only be used without any use of RAID.