Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lte

Apr 13, 2020
DE
Hi guys, have been a long-time reader but just signed-up recently.
We (charity) received some decommissioned Riverbed Steelhead Appliances (CXA-03070-B010), which are based on the Intel R1300 Server Series with a S1600JP LGA2011 Single-Socket Motherboard - quite nice for setting up a cluster I thought.
Turns out Riverbed has customized the crap out of the boards firmware, the largest issue being the inability to get into the Server's BMC. This is different from the usual Intel web-interface and is apparently 100% Riverbed inhouse. Changing the user accounts through the BIOS had no observable impact (i.e. I was still unable to get into the web-interface). Subsequent BIOS and BMC updates "restored" the BIOS' Intel splash screen, but unfortunately maintained the Riverbed BMC login.
Any chance any of you got an idea how to restore the original Intel "stock" web-interface to get the remote-console working or alternatively get into the Riverbed interface to change the passwords?
Thanks a million

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Just follow the password reset procedure from the board manual. Intel reset procedure is slightly different (more secure) from other vendors - just setting the jumper is not enough. You need to let the system go through the complete POST sequence for the password to be cleared.

lte

Apr 13, 2020
DE
Thanks for the advice, but this is unfortunately not working (These are already the boards not requiring jumper interaction except for BIOS PW clearings). While a FRU change now displays the server as Intel Corp S1600JP, the BMC still remains the same (after god knows how many BMC flashes)
Please find the screenshot of the login attached.
upload_2020-4-19_14-11-55.png

What puzzles me, is that while I can change the BMC Ip without any issues, the password/ user stuff is not working at all

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
It does not look like you flashed the Intel BMC image. What is the file link and command you used?

lte

Apr 13, 2020
DE
I installed the latest BIOS ME BMC & FRU patch they had available named "S1600JP_EFI_BIOS02060006_ME020107328_BMC0128r10603_FRUSDR106" and flashed the "Integrated BMC(R) firmware 01.28.10603" through EFI on the board without any errors. This is pretty much an automated process; I didn't had to enter any particular commands for the firmware update to start honestly.

(Intel took down all of the boards downloads couple of days ago, I did a repo clone in case you want to have a look at the files)

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
The latest BIOS version is R02.06.0007 and the latest BMC version is 01.28.11044. But using previous versions should have not mattered for the purpose of reverting to the stock Intel config. Have you tried flashing BMC in the BMC recovery mode?

Reactions: altmind

a.out

May 3, 2016
I had the same problem with a Riverbed CX5070 (Intel R2224GZ) and can confirm you can solve it by updating the BMC in recovery mode.
Recovery update restored all BMC settings to default and after enabling root it was possible to login using the web gui. Don't forget to update FRU/SDR afterwards, if there's a problem you might have to update BMC once more using the normal approach before running the FRU/SDR update.
(Web gui still have the riverbed banner, but everything else is stock Intel.)

lte

Apr 13, 2020
DE
thanks gents - that did the trick
@BeTeP any chance you could share the BMC revision you mentioned ? Wasn't able to find the .bin except being mentioned in the release notes

EDIT: Autocorrect

Last edited: