Intel Avoton C2750 Benchmarks - Supermicro A1SAi-2750F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rthorntn

Apr 28, 2011
Thanks Patrick, how did the fan affix, did it have a shroud that fastened to something, maybe I can get an idea from that?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think it may just be a different HSF unit. There is a shroud that has four tiny screws that are at the base of the heatsink. The fan then is affixed atop of the metal shroud.

Gave me a thought, I wonder if you could use an old heatsink/ fan off of another type of processor and just thermal tape it on.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Is there a table that shows the L5630 versus L5639 versus Avoton?

I'm curious how it can compete for running manual jvm's (SOLR). say DL160 (19 x 4gb dimms, 8 ssd raid, dual L5639,infiniband QDR or dual 10gbe) in both cost per 1U and energy efficiency. Running maybe 10 SOLR cores with 16gb each for distributed search.

Also general purpose virtualization (DL180) - 12 LFF raid [all SSD!], Quadro 6000 [vsga], 12 * 8gb dimms, dual L5630,vsan/smb3/storevirtual vsa, esxi - cluster in a box for graphics accelerated ESXi or Hyper-v 2012R2 for SMB [3 of these and run that SMB with HA and HA Storage]

Something along the lines of IDLE power draw, light duty power draw, peak busy power draw and performance.

If you run out of ram/storage/video ram,you would just stack N avoton rigs to equal the traditional server, and don't forget redundant power (or just use 2 avoton to be power redunant) - but factor the wattage used after the power supply to achieve like performance.

I suspect the cost of the new units might exceed used - as it always does, but the floor on power is what i'm curious about - since these little avoton chips seem to be able to crank up pretty fast quickly.

rthorntn

Apr 28, 2011
Thanks Patrick, any idea how hot these run fanless, the case is tiny with an external PSU, the fan trays do block a lot of upwards convection?

On second thoughts maybe I will just find a way to attach the fan to the bottom of the SSD's right above where the processor heatsink is with that heavy duty 3M double sided tape.

rthorntn

Apr 28, 2011
Looks like there is an ISO with the intel GbE drivers up on the VMWARE site “ESXi 5.5.0 Driver Rollup 1 (Includes VMware Tools)”

Third-Party Drivers Added or Updated in the VMware ESXi 5.5.0 Driver Rollup 1:

Intel_bootbank_net-igb_5.0.5.1-1OEM.550.0.0.1198611 Build 1290233

apekatt

Nov 5, 2013
Anyone running ESXi 5.5 over longer periods on the A1SAi-2750F?
I've had issues with pink screen cpu panic after a few days. Hoping it is software related.

Anyone else had this happening ?

edit:
This is the screen I get. I'm doing some test in win2012 now to see if it's stable there.

edit2:
Seems rock stable in win2012, so guessing ESXI needs an update, or a fix.
edit3:
worked setting power policy to high performance it seems

Last edited:

ndragon

Jan 8, 2014
Would the Rangeley C2758 work well as a Linux router for a gigabit internet connection (BGP and basic iptables rules)?

I'm looking at the Supermicro 5018A-FTN4 (with A1SRi-2758F) and it looks like a really awesome little platform, but I would love to know if it can handle forwarding at 1Gb/s without a problem and vaguely what kind of 64byte PPS to expect. I can't find that information about this CPU but I understand that that was a bit much for previous Atoms to do.

FrankL

Aug 13, 2014
Richard, I sent an e-mail to see if I can find a part number for the fan that came with my Avoton board. Rumor has it that the fan is used by their engineers.
Hi Patrick,
did you ever receive a reply from SuperMicro?
Basically I'm having the same issue as Richard. The Avoton board is mounted in a very small case, and a single 50mm casefan does not cut it when I run 8 instances of burnP6 (cpuburn). After 15 minutes, the temperature of each cpu core exceeds 90C.
Either I add a 60mm 4-pin TPM fan directly on top of the CPU using some sort of shroud (part number?), or I need to add 2 more 50mm casefans. Obviously I prefer to go the CPU fan route.

DolphinsDan

Sep 17, 2013
Hi Patrick,
did you ever receive a reply from SuperMicro?
Basically I'm having the same issue as Richard. The Avoton board is mounted in a very small case, and a single 50mm casefan does not cut it when I run 8 instances of burnP6 (cpuburn). After 15 minutes, the temperature of each cpu core exceeds 90C.
Either I add a 60mm 4-pin TPM fan directly on top of the CPU using some sort of shroud (part number?), or I need to add 2 more 50mm casefans. Obviously I prefer to go the CPU fan route.
Is that a normal load?

FrankL

Aug 13, 2014
Is that a normal load?
Well that depends entirely what you use your system for, doesn't it? One person's 'normal' usage is bound to be an other person's outlier usage scenario.

For those who don't know the cpuburn suite, it is comprised of utilities that will stress a CPU core as much as possible to try and generate the maximum thermal profile (worst case scenario) of your CPU. You could compare it to Prime95, a better known utility.

ecleese

Apr 5, 2011
Have any of you installed esxi onto a thumb drive using the internal USB3 header?

I'm using a Sandisk thumb drive on mine and am not seeing it as an available option. I'm booting from 5.5 Update 2 (VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.5.0.update02-2068190.x86_64.iso).

I have tried various changes in bios with no luck.
- USB3.0 Support: enabled (tried both ways)
- XHCI Hand-off: enabled (tried both ways)
- EHCI Hand-off: enabled (tried both ways)
- USB Mass Storage Driver support: enabled
- Legacy USB Support: disabled (tried both ways)
- Port 60/64 emulation: disabled (tried both ways)

Bios recognizes my thumb drive so I'm guessing it's a USB3 driver issue. Any ideas?

Franko

Oct 21, 2014
Have any of you installed esxi onto a thumb drive using the internal USB3 header?

I'm using a Sandisk thumb drive on mine and am not seeing it as an available option. I'm booting from 5.5 Update 2 (VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.5.0.update02-2068190.x86_64.iso).

I have tried various changes in bios with no luck.
- USB3.0 Support: enabled (tried both ways)
- XHCI Hand-off: enabled (tried both ways)
- EHCI Hand-off: enabled (tried both ways)
- USB Mass Storage Driver support: enabled
- Legacy USB Support: disabled (tried both ways)
- Port 60/64 emulation: disabled (tried both ways)

Bios recognizes my thumb drive so I'm guessing it's a USB3 driver issue. Any ideas?
I have had the same issue with this board. Was unable to fix it. I will note that I have not tried again since updating to the most recent bios.