Intel Atom S1200 Series Centerton

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
I expect it will be cheaper then a small 1155 build but I wonder, since many of us essentially run our builds at idle the vast majority of the time, will it actually give us a much lower power draw over a E3 Xeon?

I have been piecing together a storage server and trying to save power where I can and decided I didn't need to much CPU but it did need ECC. I ordered a E3-1220L and now think it wasn't the best idea. Its a 4u case (huge) so airflow is a non issue and it will be idle most of the time. A E3-1220 (nonL) would have been near the same idle power but with much more overhead. Guess I can always sell it later if I end up needing more grunt or use it in a tiny build where the 20w TDP would be quite useful.
I've been researching the same thing too (finding the cheapest/lowest power consumption setup to run a NAS with ECC).

I was considering a "AMD cpu/AM3+ ASUS desktop board/ECC UDIMMs" combo, but the power consumption of the FX-4300 was disappointing.

So I moved on to do some research on Intel CPUs and there are boatloads of cheap ECC supporting CPU to choose from:
http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced/?s=t&ECCMemory=true

This one in particular caught my attention:
Pentium G2020 - 2.9GHz - 55w - ECC - built in graphics
With a recommended customer price of $64.00!

But, the problem then was finding a cheap LGA1155 board that supports ECC, after digging around for awhile I still haven't seen any info on cheap LGA1155 desktop boards supporting ECC, so far it appears that if the chipset on the m/b doesn't support ECC then you can't use ECC even if the CPU supports it, but a Supermicro board is around $200 so that defeats the purpose.

So as of this moment I am still looking for a cheap LGA1155 desktop board with ECC support. I mean there has got to be some out there, otherwise what is the point of having ECC on those cheap Pentium/Celeron chips?

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I understand the desire for a cheap desktop board, but I do really like IPMI. Helps a ton when things go poorly.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just got word that I may get to look at the SuperServer 5017A-EF! Pretty excited about this one.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I've been researching the same thing too (finding the cheapest/lowest power consumption setup to run a NAS with ECC).

I was considering a "AMD cpu/AM3+ ASUS desktop board/ECC UDIMMs" combo, but the power consumption of the FX-4300 was disappointing.

So I moved on to do some research on Intel CPUs and there are boatloads of cheap ECC supporting CPU to choose from:
http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced/?s=t&ECCMemory=true

This one in particular caught my attention:
Pentium G2020 - 2.9GHz - 55w - ECC - built in graphics
With a recommended customer price of $64.00!

But, the problem then was finding a cheap LGA1155 board that supports ECC, after digging around for awhile I still haven't seen any info on cheap LGA1155 desktop boards supporting ECC, so far it appears that if the chipset on the m/b doesn't support ECC then you can't use ECC even if the CPU supports it, but a Supermicro board is around $200 so that defeats the purpose.

So as of this moment I am still looking for a cheap LGA1155 desktop board with ECC support. I mean there has got to be some out there, otherwise what is the point of having ECC on those cheap Pentium/Celeron chips?
The Pentium and Celerons with ECC have a market in servers like the base Dell T110. Chassis and motherboard are standardized, but fit roles from (Pentium/Celeton) a small office with MS SBS to (Xeon) a stand alone VM host.