Intel 8x NVMe 2.5" U.2 Hot Swap Bay - $120 seller offer

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
What exactly does this fit into?

Read the STH post you had and still not sure.

2x5.25" bays?
It's designed to fit into a specific Intel server (screw holes are top and bottom instead of on the sides), but it's the exact height of 2x 5.25" bays, and only 4mm less wide. Shimming it to fit into 2x 5.25" bays shouldn't be too difficult for most cases, though some minor case modifications may be required.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
seller accepted my offer also at $120 and there is also $12 shipping. I was looking for 2.5 drive cage, this seems like great one with SAS3 /NVME support. Hopefully I can get them fit into my regular desktop case. Would this come with cables etc or is just the cage?

triples

Nov 2, 2019
seller accepted my offer also at $120 and there is also $12 shipping. I was looking for 2.5 drive cage, this seems like great one with SAS3 /NVME support. Hopefully I can get them fit into my regular desktop case. Would this come with cables etc or is just the cage?
According to Intel
Kit includes:
(1) Drive Bay Assembly Module
(1) 8x2.5 SAS/NVMe Combo Backplane
(8) 2.5” drive carriers + drive blanks
(1) 75mm 6pin – 6pin I2C jumper cable
(1) 75mm 5pin-6pin I2C jumper cable

Required (Sold Separately):
SAS / SATA Data Cables
PCIe OCuLink Cables

Reactions: Bert

triples

Nov 2, 2019
Nice find. Thanks for sharing. Wish there could be deal on cage w/ SFF-8639 connector. Easier for consumer board.

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
wow all gone, I thought I would try another one for $100 but already gone. I am lucky to get one I guess.

There is this one: Intel A2U8X25S3HSDK 2U Hot-swap Drive Cage Upgrade Kit 8x2.5" NEW 735858288767 | eBay

I assume this one is just SAS.
That one I'm not sure about. It looks like the older version of the same thing -- if you look at the STH thread I linked in the OP, it has pictures of both versions. But it could also be a SAS-only version. Double check if you're planning to buy one; that one I haven't researched as thoroughly.

Last edited:

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
Yeah, looking closer at these model numbers, I think it decodes as: (A) server accessory; (2U) fits a 2U server; (8X25) fits 8 2.5" drives; (S3) supports SAS 3; (PHS/HSDK/DPDK) other capabilities supported -- possibly P is PCIe for NVMe drives? HS might be hot swap (except I'd have thought they'd all support it, so maybe not)? Possibly some of the letters indicate the connectors used? I'm not completely sure how to decode the last part, which is the most interesting part unfortunately, and there doesn't seem to be a ton of info available online. The only version I completely know the capabilities of is the one I posted originally.

Last edited:

aleph1

Jun 21, 2018
Yeah, looking closer at these model numbers, I think it decodes as: (A) server accessory; (2U) fits a 2U server; (8X25) fits 8 2.5" drives; (S3) supports SAS 3; (PHS/HSDK/DPDK) other capabilities supported -- possibly P is PCIe for NVMe drives? HS might be hot swap (except I'd have thought they'd all support it, so maybe not)? Possibly some of the letters indicate the connectors used? I'm not completely sure how to decode the last part, which is the most interesting part unfortunately, and there doesn't seem to be a ton of info available online. The only version I completely know the capabilities of is the one I posted originally.
I found info about the A2U8X25S3DPDK in an older version of the config guide at http://static6.arrow.com/aropdfconv...3bfd11ad0e0f3995/2s2600wf_figguide_rev1_1.pdf (it's on page 68)

It looks like it's SAS-only (no NVMe):

View attachment 2s2600wf_figguide_rev1_1_68.png

Mighty Man

Aug 9, 2019
The DPDK version is dual port (DP) — some specific SAS hard drives have dual ports for higher throughput; S3 in the descriptor would still indicate up to SAS3. Note: the DPDk was in the product family config guide, but was removed several revisions ago.
HS is hotswap.

Reactions: NateS and Bert

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Aren't they all hot swap?

I just made an offer of $60 for A2U8X25S3DPDK , $72 shipped and seller accepted it.

Seller is selling bunch of cable kits etc. Which ones I would need to connect them to the motherboards for A2U8X25S3DPDK and A2U8X25S3PHS? I guess I would also need some kind fans to cool the drives for a desktop case.

Last edited:

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Ideal scenario is a 80mm fan wall in a 2U chassis. This is in fact what it was meant to go in.

If you can manage, a 120/140mm fan works pretty well once it's close to the backplane. Of course, it will all depend on what drives you decide to load up that will ultimately determine your cooling needs.