Intel 800gb S3700

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
When he had 27 left, he was willing to go down to $240/ea if I bought all of them. Short of that, I think $265 was his mark. Not a bad price if you're OK with the HP version of the drive :)

Reactions: T_Minus

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Is the HP version of the 3700 inferior to the real intel brethren ?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I'm hoping these hit $200/each in 2016 as people update capacity.

I'd love to start running 8x of these for 1600$ :D

Reactions: Aestr

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
As far as I know, the only limitation is limited/no SMART data.
Is that the same for the Samsung SSD's from HPE ?
For either Samsung or Intel I assume you can really only flash firmware by using HP array controller if not a full HP system ?

Then again for older drives flash at purchase and just use it I guess, not too many updates for older drives.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Guys, if somebody ordered them, could you please check their status (performance and bytes written). I am thinking about byuing 10+ of them and use them for CDN growth (who doesn't know - Sharing my growth in the datacenter).
Bytes written, etc... won't be available unless you have the controller/brand they're made to work with.

That's likely why there are still some of these left.

Curios; for your CDN why do you need heavy-write capable drives? Does the content you're distributing change often?

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
Bytes written, etc... won't be available unless you have the controller/brand they're made to work with.

That's likely why there are still some of these left.

Curios; for your CDN why do you need heavy-write capable drives? Does the content you're distributing change often?
Hmm, damm, nevermind.

The reason is that the more SSD is worn, the less read performance it has. Following graph shows drive utilization when I replaced worn SSDs with new SSDs - it's from the proxy pushing 10Gbps. The difference in terms of traffic was +4Gbps.proxy_ssd.png

Anyway - you are right, unless there a bug in CDN scripts, it changes only as low as 5 files (2-3GB) a day. When there is a bug, it easily fills whole 10G uplink with incoming data.

Reactions: lmk

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
What kind of (manufacturer / model) ssd was the worn one in your graph? Was it a consumer grade drive?
I would be interested to know too. I think Intel advertises that over the life of the drive you get no less than 90% of the new performance.

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
Yap, you are right Samsung 850GB Basic (there were 300TB written on them when I switched them for Intels). I got a lot of good references on Intel, so I hope the higher price will pay off.

Reactions: lmk

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
I just tested Intel S3500 SSD drives with SQL Server. Striped the drives and ran a query on a billions rows. Host has 16 CPU cores.
With clean cache it would complete the query in less than a minute. I saw like 250k iops. That was just awesome, those drives a friggin fast.