Intel’s Skylake Xeon E5 2699 v5 32 Cores Leaked Benchmark

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
A Geekbench performance test of a monster chip from Intel has leaked out (thanks for the tip, Shaun Fosmark). While the exact nomenclature of the chip is not known, it appears to be a Skylake-EP Xeon part that was sent to the Google Compute Engine team for initial prototyping. This is consistent with the news we have been hearing about Google Compute Engine now offering extended core counts to clients of their service.

Link

And According to another page:

According to Hardware.info and Google, these chips are already in use at Google, where the company’s cloud servers are benefitting from this huge chips.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Very cool. The current race to many cores is pushing out some interesting ways of thinking. Amdahl's law has a way of stopping improvements in most problems pretty quickly. That said, outside of gaming, most CPUs are more than powerful enough to do all the things that a normal consumer requires. ARM CPUs are almost powerful enough to drive the desktop.
After the chip manufacturers move from silicon to something else down to the 5nm size begin to use thing like silicon photonics and keep pushing the memory subsystem
I wonder what we will use them for.

Jul 6, 2016
Skylake-EP won't be out till summer at the earliest (depending if they coincide the release with X299 HEDT) so I think it will definitely be interesting to compare LGA4096 (SP3) with LGA3647 and see just how Naples will compare to Skylake-EP.
Is there any technical reason for E5/E7 to be generations behind E3 (already on Kaby Lake)? Or it's mostly marketing strategy/timing?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@dwasdfdafadfwfafd that is not true. Skylake Xeon will have AVX512. It will be on 14nm+ process.

The other big factor is that servers are on a different timeline.

Despite what one may think of a standard economics class where the lower price part is higher volume, the E5 series outsells the entire E3, Xeon D and Atom (server) lines combined, by several fold per analysts who I have spoken to.