Intel’s Skylake Xeon E5 2699 v5 32 Cores Leaked Benchmark

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by Kneelbeforezod, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Kneelbeforezod

Kneelbeforezod Active Member

Link

And According to another page:

2. RobertFontaine

RobertFontaine Active Member

Very cool. The current race to many cores is pushing out some interesting ways of thinking. Amdahl's law has a way of stopping improvements in most problems pretty quickly. That said, outside of gaming, most CPUs are more than powerful enough to do all the things that a normal consumer requires. ARM CPUs are almost powerful enough to drive the desktop.
    After the chip manufacturers move from silicon to something else down to the 5nm size begin to use thing like silicon photonics and keep pushing the memory subsystem
    I wonder what we will use them for.

3. Nanotech

Nanotech Active Member

Skylake-EP won't be out till summer at the earliest (depending if they coincide the release with X299 HEDT) so I think it will definitely be interesting to compare LGA4096 (SP3) with LGA3647 and see just how Naples will compare to Skylake-EP.

4. dwasdfdafadfwfafd

Is there any technical reason for E5/E7 to be generations behind E3 (already on Kaby Lake)? Or it's mostly marketing strategy/timing?

5. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

@dwasdfdafadfwfafd that is not true. Skylake Xeon will have AVX512. It will be on 14nm+ process.

The other big factor is that servers are on a different timeline.

Despite what one may think of a standard economics class where the lower price part is higher volume, the E5 series outsells the entire E3, Xeon D and Atom (server) lines combined, by several fold per analysts who I have spoken to.