Integrating Greater than Gigabit DOCSIS 3.1 into a 10gig Network?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Hey Everyone.

We are potentially moving into an area with greater than gigabit cable modem Internet service.

I already have 10gig SFP+ switches and a custom pfSense router build that uses a dual port Intel x520 10gig SFP+ NIC.

Are there any good solutions to integrate a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem into this network?

Everything I have found thus far has multiple gigabit copper ports. The only way to get above gigabit service through them is by using LACP on two or more ports, which is not ideal at all.

Are there any better solutions that can take a >gigabit DOCSIS 3.1 signal directly to a single 10gig link? SFP+ or even 10GBaseT would do the trick, since I can use a 10gig SFP+ copper adapter.

Appreciate any ideas/thoughts/suggestions!

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
If you do not like LACP - get a modem with a multigig port.

southerndoc

Feb 22, 2021
I have a Netgear CM2050V. Love it. I don't use the telephone jack on it. Only ordered the telephone version because the CM2000 was backordered.

It has a 2.5G RJ45 port. Wish it had an SFP+ port.

sleeper404

Jan 10, 2021
The only real solution for achieving greater than 1Gbps (on a single connection) is to find a docsis 3.1+ modem with a 2.5/5/10G interface. LACP would allow you to aggregate two links, but each individual flow will hash on one or the other, so you'll still only see 1Gbps on a single flow.

As Southerndoc mentioned, netgear sells a model called the CM2000 and depending on the SPF+ 10Gbase-T modules sometimes have the ability to negotiate 2.5/5/10G rates and that would let you do 2.5G straight into your pfSense firewall.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
Most modem LAGG configurations are less than perfect or just don’t work. Best bet is grab a modem like the recently launched arris s33 (make sure your isp supports it) which has a 2.5gbps port and an intel x710l and it’s simple plug and play. PfSense supports out the box. I’m seeing 1200mbps with over provisions on my service.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Most modem LAGG configurations are less than perfect or just don’t work. Best bet is grab a modem like the recently launched arris s33 (make sure your isp supports it) which has a 2.5gbps port and an intel x710l and it’s simple plug and play. PfSense supports out the box. I’m seeing 1200mbps with over provisions on my service.
Thank you. This does seem to be the way to do it. I did not realize some of Intel's 10gig adapters supported the 2.5 standard.

Only downside is that my pfSense box motherboard is MiniITX and only has one PCIe slot, so I will have to replace the existing x520 with the x710 and use a 10gig copper SFP+ adapter in the switch (Mikrotik CRS317-1G-16S+) but I already have a MikroTik branded one kicking around that should work.

Now I just have to find a reasonably prices x710-AT2. Don't seem to be any on eBay. The more common x710-AM2 does not appear to support 2.5Gig. Just 10 and 1.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Lol Really?

1614643806313.png

This is what their industrial design group came up with?

I don't suppose there are rack mount ears for this thing, huh? :p

• Haha
Reactions: Amrhn

sth

Oct 29, 2015
its specifically the x710-L model you want... the non 'l' version is not 2.5/5g capable.

The s33 is smaller than most modems Ive seen, its a quarter of the size of the crap I was given by Spectrum :-D

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
its specifically the x710-L model you want... the non 'l' version is not 2.5/5g capable.

The s33 is smaller than most modems Ive seen, its a quarter of the size of the crap I was given by Spectrum :-D
I can't seem to find an x710-L.

I found this table which pointed me in the direction of the AT2 and TM4, but not the AM2 or BM2

1614646673293.png

Never mind, I saw your link.

I DO find them when I search for T2L. Damn they are pricy.

I always get confused with Intel's product names.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
ah, I see your edit. Glad you found them. Give it 6 months and there will be chinese copies knocking around on ebay for $50! :)

sleeper404

Jan 10, 2021
For $42 I think I would give this SFP+ adapter a shot, people are claiming it negotiates to 2.5/5G. SFP+ Copper Adapter. If you go that route and it works let me know, I've been considering one for my 2.5G AP, but never have a good enough reason to get one.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
For $42 I think I would give this SFP+ adapter a shot, people are claiming it negotiates to 2.5/5G. SFP+ Copper Adapter. If you go that route and it works let me know, I've been considering one for my 2.5G AP, but never have a good enough reason to get one.
The question is, is it enough that the module negotiates 2.5 and 5, or does the NIC need to negotiate it too, or can this module negotiate 2.5 and 5 on one end, and negotiate 10gig on the other end and act as a bridge?

southerndoc

Feb 22, 2021
The question is, is it enough that the module negotiates 2.5 and 5, or does the NIC need to negotiate it too, or can this module negotiate 2.5 and 5 on one end, and negotiate 10gig on the other end and act as a bridge?
I don't think the NIC is required to negotiate. My Mikrotik SFP-to-RJ45 adapter (Mikrotik S+RJ10) is connected to a UniFi Dream Machine Pro, which only supports 1/10G. So the adapter is negotiating to 2.5G. When I replaced it with a UniFi SFP-to-RJ45 adapter (which only does 1/10G), it would negotiate at 1G.

Reactions: mattlach

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
I don't think the NIC is required to negotiate. My Mikrotik SFP-to-RJ45 adapter (Mikrotik S+RJ10) is connected to a UniFi Dream Machine Pro, which only supports 1/10G. So the adapter is negotiating to 2.5G. When I replaced it with a UniFi SFP-to-RJ45 adapter (which only does 1/10G), it would negotiate at 1G.
That is good to know. I already have one of those Mikrotik adapters, and I'm not currently using it.

bgpa

Jan 8, 2021
Do you get reasonable performance between the 2.5G (NBASE-T) connection and 10G on the box? I read somewhere (don't remember where now) that even if the SFP adapter negotiates 2.5G on the RJ side and 10G on the SFP+ side, that because it does not contain a reasonable buffer, that you may encounter poor performance (card expects 10G but the adaptor is only running at 2.5G). This presupposes that flow control is not working well?

southerndoc

Feb 22, 2021
I've not had any issues at all. I'm using the adapter to connect to a Netgear Nighthawk CM2050V cable modem with Xfinity gigabit internet service. Because of overprovisioning, I'm getting 1400-1500 Mbps downstream and 42 Mbps upstream. I'm getting these numbers consistently, and I haven't noticed any packet drops. Perhaps the Mikrotik has a decent buffer with it. I will say that I have flow control turned on with my UDMP.

Goof

Jan 27, 2021
Question to the folks in this thread who have an Arris S33, and if they're willing ...

Possible for someone to report back a power consumption figure on the S33? I know what it could theoretically draw via a power adapter, but I'm curious as to what it actually draws at idle and under use. I can't find any data on it, and trying to get this info before purchasing some. Thanks in advance.

-- ---- ----

UPDATE: Got an answer. 8W idle, ~10W when active.

Last edited: