Installing Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 (core only) - Questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BigP

Mar 30, 2011
East Coast
Installing Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 - Answer: Get a new ISO/Burn

So feeling ambitious, I researched virtual servers, settling on Hyper-V thanks to the folks on this forum. Downloaded and imaged the Server 2008 R2 core ISO...and made a couple of attempts at loading it on LITTLEJOHN after making sure that Intel VT and DEP were enabled in the BIOS. The only boot items enabled are 1) DVD and 2) HDD

Under Intel SATA RAID settings for RAID1 320gb drives (and a Sata DVD), the install stops, asking for CD/DVD drivers, for which I have none, and I wasn't successful via Win7 disk (swapping discs or 2 drives), as Supermicro ICH9/10 or LSI SAS2008 drivers wouldn't satisfy the install either.

I was able to mount a network IDE DVD via IPMI and the same "stop" occurred with the local DVD disconnected from LITTLEJOHN. (only HDD enabled in boot order).

Researched but was unsuccessful in creating USB boot drive from iso or copy of disc.

Switched RAID to AHCI and IDE, and via IPMI installed Hyper-V Server....same request for drivers.

WHEN IN DOUBT: re-Download the ISO image and re-burn a DVD. Took 3 different attempts but finally got an ISO image to burn properly and install properly. One side note, I did use the USB with "Drivers" folder to load ICH8/9/10 successfully for this install.

Last edited:

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I was having the same issue. Had to download it on another machine and it worked.