installing cage nuts?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
anyone have a way to install cage nuts easily? I see there are tools I can buy for $15-$20, but wondering if there was a cheaper way for something I dont have to do that often

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
The click nuts are nice - but if not an option, The APC racks come with a little spring steel tool that works ok. A thin flat-bladed screwdriver can also be quite handy depending on the nut you use.
Hooking one side in the hole, and the the tool you rest on the other side of the hole and basically slide the nut along it till it covers the other side you pull the tool out and it springs into place (in theory at least).

I have found that actualy finding decent nuts that work well with your specific rack is the most important. The small differences in vendors can make an easy job a real PITA, and influence the amount of blood loss during server installs :)

Reactions: Jason Antes

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
so, it turned out that the rack already had a bunch of nuts installed that were easy to removed (perhaps on the older side) so I used those instead of what came with my rack extension (and that answers my previous thread about installing the r710 ready rails in a ~600mm depth rack. though also learned that the r710 rails are very picky in which holes they go into (i.e. firt place I put the extension (all square wholes) wouln't work with the fixed front (mixture of circle and square holes)