Install Ubuntu 16.04.03 LTS on Asus X99-E-10G WS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

John Marion

Feb 4, 2018
I am trying to install Ubuntu 16.04.03 LTS from a USB stick on the Asus X99-E-10G WS.

My problem is I can't get it to even install. I get the GRUB menu, choose 'Install...' and the screen just goes blank and then nothing happens. I've tried many different BIOS settings (Fast Boot -> enable (USB Full Init), Secure Boot -> Other OS, CSM -> disable) and it just won't install.

I see that the board was reviewed on this site using that OS. Can someone please tell me how to get it installed?

Thanks!

John Marion

Feb 4, 2018
Hi Patrick - I can't find anywhere to download the HWE kernel. It seems like the 16.04.03 LTS has the HWE kernel in it by default. Or am I wrong about that. I've tried all the combinations of settings I can think of. Is there any way to ask the guy who benchmarked that board, William Harmon, how he got it installed? Thanks very much!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@John Marion I do think nomodeset will help you.

HWE is usually selectable at the initial installation screen. It uses a different kernel with updated drivers.

John Marion

Feb 4, 2018
Ok. The bit about "nomodeset" helped a lot. Apparently there was a clash between my video card (EVGA 1080 Ti) and the nouveau driver. In the grub screen, I hit 'e' while on the "Try Ubuntu..." choice and added "nomodeset" to the command ("nouveau.modeset=0" works, too). This allowed me to boot int Ubuntu. Then I chose to 'Install Ubuntu', leaving both choices to "Download Updates..." and "Install third-party software..." unchecked. There was nothing about HWE in the install screens, but I think I can install that later.

After doing that, I got through the install process, but it wouldn't boot properly. I just got to the purple screen with nothing on it. Just before that it flashed a message for a split second that said "System BootOrder not found. Initializing defaults. Creating boot entry "Boot0003" with label "ubuntu" for file "\EFI\ubuntu\shim64.efi". This is some problem with the UEFI setup. I was able to fix this by doing two things: 1) ensuring that /EFI/BOOT and the files BOOTX64.efi and grubx64.efi on my setup media are the right case (I read on one post that these are case sensitive, but I am not sure if this really made a difference), and 2) installing and running boot-repair before leaving the session in which I installed Ubuntu.

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Cool Runnings