install keeps freezing

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bashed

Apr 29, 2015
I've got this one particular Supermicro / Xeon E3 box that keeps freezing on Centos 6.6 install. I've used the same usb key and iso on a few other SM boxes without a hitch. This box is a couple years old, but was working just fine until 2 days ago when I tried to reinstall a fresh copy of Centos.

This was happening before I upgraded the IPMI firmware and after (just now again) too. I also tried on hand at the data center, same issue.

This is a brand new drive too, so that's not the issue.

SM Board: X9SCL
Firmware Revision : 03.38

This is the 2nd time it froze during the formatting stage (attached). It froze yesterday when I was simply trying to edit the partition prior to formatting.

Trying to figure out how to update the BIOS via IPMI. Firmware is here
End User License Agreement

The instructions in the readme sound like a windows based install?

1. Save this file to your computer.

2. extract the files to a DOS bootable device (such as a bootable USB stick, or CD).

2. Boot to a DOS prompt and type AMI.BAT BIOSname.###.
I actually cannot find any instructions for Linux via IPMI.

Hoping someone can enlighten me here on this BIOS update and tracing the cause of the freeze up during install.

Thank you.

Attachments

Last edited:

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Checksum the image and remake the key. Also... I have noticed some interesting issues with USB3 keys having issues with OS installs.
I like rufus.

Bashed

Apr 29, 2015
I've used the same usb key and same exact ISO a handful of times actually, so they're fine.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I've used the same usb key and same exact ISO a handful of times actually, so they're fine.
Unless you have had a successful install with that combination since it started freezing on that machine... USB Keys can go bad, data can corrupt... don't shoot yourself in the foot...
Also... USB3 issue was not every box... try a usb2 key.