P

Install IPMIView 2 on Debian/ Ubuntu

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
pricklypunter submitted a new resource:

Install IPMIView 2 on Debian/ Ubuntu - Build a Supermicro IPMIView 2.0 Debian Package

Hey folks,

Here's a quick, rough and ready guide for those new to the wonderful world of Linux, on getting Supermicro's IPMIView 2 packaged up and installed in a Debian based Linux Distro. I'll start off with a clean install of Ubuntu Mate as an example, as I have that to hand today. Also, I am doing this from the root account and not as a user, so you may need to set/ change permissions, perform additional steps etc on your install :)

Firstly you need to download two files. As I'm using...
Read more about this resource...

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
Nice doc. However, if you happen to own an X10 or X11, I suggest one installs a recent Redfish IPMI firmware in order to use HTML5 KVM.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I agree, and take your point, Redfish and HTML5 is the likely successor to IPMI, and is definitely making strides now with more modern hardware, Supermicro supporting it from firmware 3 onward for example. That being said, IPMI has a truly massive legacy with industry wide acceptance. Given that, I suspect it will take years before a tipping point occurs that will push it mainstream. Then there's all the little guys like me to consider, just running a home lab with gear that's perhaps several generations back and will likely not be able to use Redfish for a long time to come. This little guide is aimed in that direction with a bias on those new to Linux :)

Reactions: niekbergboer

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
It was brought to my attention today by a new member, that this will not build on Ubuntu 16.04, so I tested it this morning with Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS Desktop x64 and the latest version of IPMIView from the Supermicro site, 2.13.1. An error 3.0 (quilt) mentioning the upstream tarball results when you try to build the package. After a wee bit of digging, it appears that the package builder doesn't like the file naming/syntax used, hence doesn't see the file that it expects to see. I expect that this will likely continue to be the case going forward. If you read the error message you will note the file name that it is expecting, just simply rename the original file and the package should build fine :)

I have also uploaded the latest deb package to my GDrive here if anyone needs a quick way to install on Ubuntu 16.04 and wants to grab it. Ignore the old file names flying past during install, I couldn't be bothered changing them when I built the package. I'll leave the file up on my GDrive for a couple of days to allow anyone that wants it to be able to download it :)

I have now removed the package from my GDrive, if anyone was late to the party and would still like a copy, drop me a pm :)

Last edited:
Reactions: epicurean