Install from USB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

No1451

Jan 1, 2011
Got all my parts today, only to realize that my sata DVD drive is broken and my board has no IDE connector....so, how do I install ESXi? I've tried a number of methods for creating a bootable USB drive and so far not a single one works.

Help please :confused:

No1451

Jan 1, 2011
X8SIL, I decided against the version with IPMI onboard and now I am really regretting the decision.

No1451

Jan 1, 2011
I have tried that method, the line where it states that running that command will copy a file...well it simply doesn't.

Edit: Tried a few more times and it did, still no love, no machine is capable of booting from this USB drive :(

So far I have tried dd on OS X, UNetbootin and syslinux. I've even used multiple USB drives so I don't think it's an issue with the drive(I've booted my main machine from these USB drives before). The pain in the ass this has caused really makes me wish I had just gotten the more expensive version.

Last edited:

john4200

Jan 1, 2011
Can you create any bootable USB drives with your setup? Say with UNetbootin, can you create a bootable FreeDOS? If you cannot at least do that, your system has serious problems.

No1451

Jan 1, 2011
Can you create any bootable USB drives with your setup? Say with UNetbootin, can you create a bootable FreeDOS? If you cannot at least do that, your system has serious problems.
No it seems I can't, I've tried on 3 separate machines, none of them are seemingly able to create a bootable ESXi USB drive. Windows and Linux both worked but no dice on this. Tried used UltimateDeployment to do a PXE boot but it seems I am far far too stupid to use this software :/

john4200

Jan 1, 2011
No it seems I can't, I've tried on 3 separate machines, none of them are seemingly able to create a bootable ESXi USB drive. Windows and Linux both worked but no dice on this. Tried used UltimateDeployment to do a PXE boot but it seems I am far far too stupid to use this software :/
So, are you saying you CAN create a USB bootable Windows or Linux flash drive, but not ESXi ??

No1451

Jan 1, 2011
Yup, ESXi just seems to fail every time. I even confirmed the iso working by making a DVD of them. However I managed to get UDA working, so hopefully this solve my problems.