Inserting 2.5" SAS disk drive on a 3.5" caddy

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zecas

Dec 6, 2019
Hi,

I need your help to understand if it's possible to connect a 2.5" SAS disk where a 3.5" SAS caddy is expected.

I have a supermicro server with the following parts:
- chassis: SSG-6027R-E1R12T
- disk backplate: BPN-SAS2-826EL1
- controller: LSI SAS 9207-8i KIT 8-Port 6Gbps SATA+SAS PCI-E 3.0 HBA Kit (connected to the backplate)

I was planning to put the following disks on this server:
- HGST HUC109060CSS600, 600GB 10K SAS 2.5"

So in the server I have 12x front 3.5" caddies, and I was thinking about fitting 2.5" SAS drives on them.

My question is: can I just plug the drives directly in the backplate connector? Will they get damaged?

I know they fit in the SAS connector, and I have to adjust the drive physical position inside the caddy with some spacers/holders, but will it work if I connect the 2.5" disks directly?

I'm afraid that, since it is designed for 3.5" drives, there is some voltage difference on SAS connectors that burns/damages the 2.5" drives or the backplate if I connect them there.

Thank you for your help.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I'm afraid that, since it is designed for 3.5" drives, there is some voltage difference on SAS connectors that burns/damages the 2.5" drives or the backplate if I connect them there.

Thank you for your help.
nope - you'll be fine. Just get a good quality adapter that firmly mounts and aligns the drive correctly in the caddy. SM makes some - example - they tend to be comparatively expensive. You can get high Quality Dell manufactured adapters which are relatively inexpensive - example.

Reactions: i386

zecas

Dec 6, 2019
Nice, that's very good to know. I read about problems when using a SATA 3.5" on a laptop, not because of the size but because of the lack of voltage provided by the laptop, so an external PSU was needed, but maybe it's because it's a SATA and it's a connection from a laptop. Was thinking that I might have some problem for this SAS configuration.

And should I be worried about the bottom of the 2.5" drive?

I mean, since it's going into an horizontal caddy, and although 3.5" disks have no components that touch the metal base of the chassis, the 2.5" drives are compact and the electric circuit on the bottom seem to be to much at the drive's bottom surface and may touch the chassis when resting on it's position during operation.

Thank you again for your help.