input lag in video game

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AnIgnorantPerson

Mar 31, 2019
I have an Acer Nitro Spin 5. It is a 2-1 laptop.

When I am using built in screen or external HDMI TV (TLC roku smart TV) or monitor (PG279Q) it has tangible input lag while in windows. It is tolerable but noticeable compared to what I am used to. (see desktop below).

When I load War Thunder using internal display, TLC roku TV, or even PG279Q. The input lag becomes insane! I have never seen input lag vary depending on the program used.

Why does it go from tolerable input lag to input lag so bad I feel like I am completely wasted and about to fall out of my chair. This is no exaggeration. It is atrocious.

Anyone know why or a solution to make it better? I can stand the normal input lag while typing this post but load a game and it is unbearable.

When in game my PG279Q is a little better but not by much so it isn't a display issue.

I turned all performance and battery settings to high/performance. Turned v-sync off, overclocked, unlocked everything, set buffer to 1. Installed all updates ect.

Anyone have advice on whats causing it? I can post any settings or screenshots if you want.

EDIT: I have riva stat server up and getting weird results
Dropbox - servethehome laptop input lag - Simplify your life

You can see in overlay that the frame time is jumping up and down but CPU and GPU are not overheating or overloaded. What is going on?

I tried 720p min settings and not holding 60 FPS which shouldnt be an issue. I also have the displacement and clouds on min. I know with recent up date clouds/displacement are completely broken and hose any CPU (even my 5ghz 9900k) I miss old clouds.

EDIT: Switched back to internal laptop display and I can maintain 60 fps but on TCL TV I get like 54 FPS and its crazy messed up. I am trying to get riva stat server overlay to work so I can get a picture of frame times. I am in San Francisco ATM and not in Chicago so can't test my PG279Q but I remember that was best but still was off but I didnt have stat overlay going so I can't comment on frame times with then PG279Q. I'll update and post screenshot of frame times for internal LCD when it works.

Okay, I got stat server to work for internal LCD and the frame times are way way better but still some input lag but way less. Check the dropbox link out. What is going on?!?!?

Win 10 Pro (?)
8550U (TDP set to 44w so basically a 3.7-4.0GHz 7700)
nvidia 1050 (non TI)
8GB of ram
1TB SSD

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q Black 27" 165Hz 2560 x 1440 2K 4ms NVDIA G-SYNC, 350cd/m2, 1000:1, DP, HDMI, IPS Built-in Speakers, Tilt, Swivel, Pivot, Height Adjustable, VESA Mount - Newegg.com
Acer Nitro 5 Spin NP515-51-887W Intel Core i7 8th Gen 8550U (1.80 GHz) 8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 15.6" Touchscreen 1920 x 1080 Convertible 2-in-1 Laptop Windows 10 Home 64-Bit - Newegg.com

My Desktop
PG279Q
Win 10 Pro
9900K 5Ghz
G.Skill 32GB 3200 14-14-14-34
980TI 1450mhz
1TB 970 EVO Plus

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Sounds like a driver issue.
I assume you have updated to the latest?

-boot from a linux live disk to see if it behaves similar (input lag on desktop)
- try reinstalling windows

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Ok, now the think makes more sense

The performance on the TV sucks, but on internal LCD its ok, do I understand that right?

You know there are a lot of "optimizations" being applied to TVs to look "better" (in the eyes of the manufacturer) - maybe one of those is affecting this?

AnIgnorantPerson

Mar 31, 2019
Ok, now the think makes more sense

The performance on the TV sucks, but on internal LCD its ok, do I understand that right?

You know there are a lot of "optimizations" being applied to TVs to look "better" (in the eyes of the manufacturer) - maybe one of those is affecting this?
the performance on the internal display isn't great.

The performance on the TV is great when not in game. So when I have Windows OS/desktop open on TV and looking at websites, posting here, browsing files and so on. The input lag is tolerable and decent. I open War Thunder (a resource intensive game...input lag goes to shit.)

I will try to make this as barney style as possible.

Input lag between TCL TV and internal display are nearly the same while using chrome, explorer and basic programs. I might even prefer the TCL TV over the internal display while using basic programs and windows.

When I launch War thunder...instantly the TCL TV is unbearable and I really want to beat my face into a wall and die. When I run War thunder on the internal LCD it is not enjoyable but it is bearable.

This is clearly visible in the RivaTuner Stat server overlay.

This issue is not an issue with the TV. If it was an issue with the TV the Riva Tuner stat server should display the same results but the stats server clearly shows a massive reduction in performance when the HDMI out is being used.

If the TV was an issue the overlay should appear the same between internal vs external display.

Does that makes sense to you? This is fairly bnasic.....

The performance overlay should run exactly the same no matter the display output if them display was the issue. But that is not the case. The overlay is clearly showing massive internal computer issues between internal display and HDMI out.

if you don'y understand this...there is nothing I can type to explain this. I typed this, showed graphs and broke this down barney style.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well honestly if it is too much effort to explain the issue to somebody trying to help you then I certainly feel that my time is spent better elsewhere.
Maybe somebody else here is more into your specific setup of external TV and Rica Tuner and can help you out.
Good luck with your problem

Reactions: Aestr

AnIgnorantPerson

Mar 31, 2019
Well honestly if it is too much effort to explain the issue to somebody trying to help you then I certainly feel that my time is spent better elsewhere.
Maybe somebody else here is more into your specific setup of external TV and Rica Tuner and can help you out.
Good luck with your problem
lol. Your response is like someone who is on a cooking forum who doesn't understand the difference from bison and buffalo. Or olive oil vs vegetable oil for frying.

William

May 7, 2015
Your laptop is at 1920 x 1080, and the external display is running at the same screen res ?
Its possible it could be a screen refresh rate issue between the laptop vs the external display.
I did a google search and it seems this could be an issue many are seeing. Are you sure it's not switching to the Intel IGPU when you use HDMI, or try a different HDMI cable.

Acer Nitro Spin 5 bad frame rates when using external monitor - Google Search

AnIgnorantPerson

Mar 31, 2019
Your laptop is at 1920 x 1080, and the external display is running at the same screen res ?
Its possible it could be a screen refresh rate issue between the laptop vs the external display.
I did a google search and it seems this could be an issue many are seeing. Are you sure it's not switching to the Intel IGPU when you use HDMI, or try a different HDMI cable.

Acer Nitro Spin 5 bad frame rates when using external monitor - Google Search
I tried forcing IGPU and 1050. The 1050 does this 15-30ms frame time (55FPS). Then IGPU just keeps a 35ms frame time and 30 FPS.

I have been playing on internal display and keeping 60-120FPS. Will add a screenshot to dropbox folder.

there is some major issue with running anything through HDMI out vs internal

Some of screenshots dont have overlay but the WT FPS is in bottom left and it shows 100-120FPS but I never saw beyond 55FPS when using HDMI out

EDIT: added some more screenshots showing the riva tuner overlay using internal display and I am hitting 70-120FPS adn 10-20ms frame time. I notice some input lag but its bareable but when I go throught the HDMI out its totally messed up

Last edited:

William

May 7, 2015
I know it sounds lame, but try a different HDMI cable and see if anything changes.

edge

Apr 22, 2013
What resolution are you outputting to the tv vs what is the tv displaying. This question is aimed at the idea your tv maybe upscaling hd to uhd hdr and doing motion smoothing at the same time - a game's high frame rate graphics would face plant a TV's lame cpu in a heartbeat in such a situation.

AnIgnorantPerson

Mar 31, 2019
What resolution are you outputting to the tv vs what is the tv displaying. This question is aimed at the idea your tv maybe upscaling hd to uhd hdr and doing motion smoothing at the same time - a game's high frame rate graphics would face plant a TV's lame cpu in a heartbeat in such a situation.
interesting idea. I don't think that's the issue because internally the benchmark reads really messed up frame times. If that was the issue the internal frametimes should appear normal.