Innodisk SATADOM-SL 3IE3 V2 Firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Go0oSeR

Jul 13, 2021
Hello everyone - Im trying to find a firmware upgrade for the Innodisk SATADOM-SL 3IE3 V2. I purchased the part from ebay for a very reasonable cost to install on a supermicro motherboard. The drive came with less than 100 hours, but it also shipped with a know defective version of the firmware - S560301N Source

Nutanix has identified an issue with the S160130N and S560301N firmware on 3IE3 model SATA DOMs that can cause the device to fail after an AC power cycle of the node.
To reduce the likelihood of being impacted by this issue, LCM only allows SATA DOM (Host Boot Device) upgrades if it detects the S560301N firmware on any of the nodes in the cluster. Refer to KB 7194 for more details. (You may need to log in to the Support Portal to view KB 7194.)
I have found a Nutanix link that apparently has a bootable iso where you can upgrade the drive firmware here - However I dont have access to the paywalled article on the support portal. Ive tried reaching out to Innodisk and received no response.

Anyone know where I could source non-defective firmware for this device? I appreciate any help. Thanks everyone!

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
I have some with the defective firmware version, but also a couple with Firmware Version: S670330N - so if you know how to extract the current firmware, then I will be happy to send the "better" version to you?

Go0oSeR

Jul 13, 2021
I have some with the defective firmware version, but also a couple with Firmware Version: S670330N - so if you know how to extract the current firmware, then I will be happy to send the "better" version to you?
Thanks so much for responding. I personally do not know of a way to export the firmware that is currently running on the SATADOM. I did a quick search but wasnt able to find anything.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Well - if you find out how to flash a new firmware - then usually the same tools also have an option to save the old firmware.

Go0oSeR

Jul 13, 2021
I was going to attempt to use hdparm which has an option to load firmware into some drives, but doesnt have an option to back it up. But I guess I was also hoping someone here had access to the nutanix iso which would presumably contain the flashing tool as well.

Go0oSeR

Jul 13, 2021
I extracted a dell firmware updater for similar Innodisk devices and they just use the hdparm commands to update the firmware and they DO NOT back it up prior to the upgrade. Unfortunately the .bin for the particular SATADOM in question is not there.

hdparm --fwdownload /bin/$packed_sata_secondary_firm --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing --please-destroy-my-drive /dev/sda

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Well if you find out how to extract an existing firmware, let me know :) Then I can send you my existing firmware - but my guess is that its not possible to extract - only overwrite.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
I extracted a dell firmware update from:Innodisk Solid-State Drive Firmware Update for 3IE3, v3.00.7.0-1 | Driver Details | Dell UK

and it contained the following files:

Code:
firmware/sata/SYS_S_S20326c1_eye00_dpreg_GPIO8_20210317.bin
firmware/sata/SYS_S_S20326c1_eye00_dpreg_GPIO13_20210317.bin
firmware/sata/SYS_S_S1642530_GPIO13_20210611.bin
firmware/sata/S16425cG.bin
firmware/sata/S16425cH_D09_AMP6_PRE0_20211027.bin
The page explicitly lists "Innodisk Solid-State Drive Firmware Update for 3IE3"

So I think one of the above might be what you are looking for.

What I did was download the zip.
Unzip it.
chmod a+x ssd-firmware-updater-3ie3-r0.3.00.7.0-1.bin
run
./ssd-firmware-updater-3ie3-r0.3.00.7.0-1.bin -x (which extracts to /tmp)
Then I extracted the onie-update.tar.xz which gave me the firmware directory where these files including scripts etc are located.

The update script even contains these lines:
Code:
sata_secondary_firm_rev=$(dmesg | grep "3IE3" | sed -n '1p' | cut -d ',' -f2 | sed "s/ //g" )
if [ -z "$sata_secondary_firm_rev" ]; then
    log_and_print "Device doesn't belongs to 3IE3 SSD Model.. Exiting upgrade!!"
    updater_err_exit
fi
Which when I run the important part - returns S560301N.

So the only real question I think is whether or not the firmware is compatible - and the firmware is not too new for the old and broken firmware.

Last edited:

Go0oSeR

Jul 13, 2021
I extracted a dell firmware update from:Innodisk Solid-State Drive Firmware Update for 3IE3, v3.00.7.0-1 | Driver Details | Dell UK

and it contained the following files:

Code:
firmware/sata/SYS_S_S20326c1_eye00_dpreg_GPIO8_20210317.bin
firmware/sata/SYS_S_S20326c1_eye00_dpreg_GPIO13_20210317.bin
firmware/sata/SYS_S_S1642530_GPIO13_20210611.bin
firmware/sata/S16425cG.bin
firmware/sata/S16425cH_D09_AMP6_PRE0_20211027.bin
The page explicitly lists "Innodisk Solid-State Drive Firmware Update for 3IE3"

So I think one of the above might be what you are looking for.

What I did was download the zip.
Unzip it.
chmod a+x ssd-firmware-updater-3ie3-r0.3.00.7.0-1.bin
run
./ssd-firmware-updater-3ie3-r0.3.00.7.0-1.bin -x (which extracts to /tmp)
Then I extracted the onie-update.tar.xz which gave me the firmware directory where these files including scripts etc are located.

The update script even contains these lines:
Code:
sata_secondary_firm_rev=$(dmesg | grep "3IE3" | sed -n '1p' | cut -d ',' -f2 | sed "s/ //g" )
if [ -z "$sata_secondary_firm_rev" ]; then
    log_and_print "Device doesn't belongs to 3IE3 SSD Model.. Exiting upgrade!!"
    updater_err_exit
fi
Which when I run the important part - returns S560301N.

So the only real question I think is whether or not the firmware is compatible - and the firmware is not too new for the old and broken firmware.
I also did the same exact thing yesterday, this is actually where I got the code snippet I posted in my previous post. I'm pretty sure none of those firmware versions are for the 64GB SATADOM revision of the 3IE3 V2. Rather I think they are form mSATA form factor versions, something like this. That being the case I decided that I wasn't going to try and install the firmware from that archive.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
I also did the same exact thing yesterday, this is actually where I got the code snippet I posted in my previous post. I'm pretty sure none of those firmware versions are for the 64GB SATADOM revision of the 3IE3 V2. Rather I think they are form mSATA form factor versions, something like this. That being the case I decided that I wasn't going to try and install the firmware from that archive.
You are probably correct - too bad vendors don't make all their firmwares public.

cyberjock

Jul 15, 2017
So I've got 5 of these SATA DOMs, and so far 1 has the newer "S670330N" and one has the older "S560301N". I knew something was up when I saw that the older firmware didn't support TRIM, but the newer firmware does.

I'm really wishing I could download the firmware from one and upload it to the other. LOL.

It *appears* that Dell sells this exact part as K9R5M. From the link at OEM - Dell Poweredge R330/R430 SSD-KIT SDDR 64GB SATA-DOM P/N: K9R5M it appears to sell with the R330 and R430. I loaded a bootable ISO for R430 (although the machine wasn't a Dell and wasn't an R430) and it seemed to not care that it wasn't a Dell machine, but it also didn't find any firmware update for the DOM.

I also tried the Dell upgrade ISO for XC6320 since that system seems to also come with this DOM. However again, no firmware updates seemed to be applied.

Nutanix has a memo about this problem, and references all of these firmware versions plus S160130N (that is likely even older than S560301N) per Nutanix Support & Insights but to view KB7194 you have to have a serial number for their product. I have none of their product, so I have no idea if the firmware exists for Nutanix's hardware that we could use or not.

From this link: Nutanix Support & Insights
  1. How can I upgrade firmware without using LCM?
    Nutanix recommends that you use LCM to perform firmware updates. However, if that is not possible for any reason, then follow the instructions in KB 6937.
Again though, I cannot view that KB since I don't have a serial number with their hardware.

So I've seemed to run out of possible options aside from contacting Innodisk directly, which I may try to do tomorrow unless someone else has a better solution.

Did anyone figure out this mess? I'm tempted to email Innodisk, but I'm expecting I'll never hear from them.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
I'm expecting I'll never hear from them
I used their contact form back in march 12th, and got an automated reply back immediate stating:

Dear Bjørn Smith,

Thanks for visiting our website.We will get back to you soon as possible.
Please feel free to contact us directly.
Obviously I havent heard anything from them - so I would not hold my breath - but if you find a solution to updating the firmware, I would also love to get an updated firmware, since some of my innodisk SATADOMS are next to useless because the write speed is in the KB/s range.

Go0oSeR

Jul 13, 2021
I have the newest firmware, Innodisk sent it to me with instructions how to flash. I can share them if any of you wish. PM me. Ive been using it with no issues for quite some time now.

Go0oSeR

Jul 13, 2021
I used their contact form back in march 12th, and got an automated reply back immediate stating:

Obviously I havent heard anything from them - so I would not hold my breath - but if you find a solution to updating the firmware, I would also love to get an updated firmware, since some of my innodisk SATADOMS are next to useless because the write speed is in the KB/s range.
Didnt I send you the firmware last year?

cyberjock

Jul 15, 2017
The fact that the firmware version has fewer digits makes me think your firmware isn't compatible with the devices we have.

Any chance you can PM me that firmware and I'll take a look. Strangely, that part number *is* the same as the ones I have.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
I have the newest firmware, Innodisk sent it to me with instructions how to flash. I can share them if any of you wish. PM me. Ive been using it with no issues for quite some time now.
PM Sent - I need that :) and I am willing to brick one of the spare ones I have just to test it.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Didnt I send you the firmware last year?
Hang on you did - I am just a slightly old fart that apparently forgets easy - and I have totally forgotten if I even got around to finding out if it works or not.

And my part numbers are exactly that, so I am slightly optimistic - I am just booting up a machine to see if it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Go0oSeR

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
I can confirm that the firmware update works for my satadoms - and that the drive still works after.

I have updated the following firmware versions with success so far:

S740305N -> S21804i
S560301N -> S21804i

So this is just golden :-D

3 almost dead SATADOMS revived - now I probably just need to go through all my servers and do it for all the drives I have in use as well, just so I have latest on all of my SATADOMS.

EDIT: Seems like my servers running right now is running with a mix of firmware: S670330N & S740305N - hopefully those are not affected :) ( At least trim is supported on those)

Last edited:
Reactions: Go0oSeR