Infiniband with ESX

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chrisbrns

chrisbrns.com
Nov 13, 2011
Central Florida
www.chrisbrns.com
Can it be done? I saw another post with some info, but I am looking basically get this working..

5 servers w/ infiniband adapters
connected to 24 port topspin infiniband switch
Hosts running ESX 4.1

Openfiler server with DAT storage
infiniband adapter installed
iSCSI setup to share storage LUN to ESX hosts via infiniband adapters

I keep reading mixed reviews/suggestions. Can someone explian this and if so, methods used - Drivers seem to be available for later cards, but not found on website and see no compatibility on VMware HCL.

First time post here btw, like what I am readin.. :)

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
What adapters do you have?
Have you found ESX drivers for them? If not you might have to compile your own from the linux source code.

Chrisbrns

chrisbrns.com
Nov 13, 2011
Central Florida
www.chrisbrns.com
Well, I have nothing yet in place. I am researching which adapters to use, but otherwise I am open to using any. I was looking at the CX4 versions, pcie 8x cards. Also the MELLANOX MHEA28-XTC cards as well for test environment. I am just looking to connect the storage server to the vmware host servers using a switch, all using HCA adapters such as the CX4 cards. From what I have read, it is possible, but I just can't find any info regarding how/if possible. The documentation of the infiniband clearly describes how it works with tcp/ip which means iSCSI storage emulation from a openfiler box is possible. Other note, I found other people doing this with physical boxes using linux and windows boxes, but not on the hypervisor level.... Stumped!

Chrisbrns

chrisbrns.com
Nov 13, 2011
Central Florida
www.chrisbrns.com
Hmm yes. I ran across this earlier and seems as so it's supported. But will have to test out before I take it in production... Just was wondering if anyone has any experience with this... or real life test.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Sweet setup legaultp1! If you ever wanted to make that into a main-site feature let me know.