Infiniband to 10g Ethernet Cisco

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Beaubeshore

Apr 14, 2013
I am looking to connect a voltaire 4036 qdr switch to a catalyst 6500. i have 2 10g ports open and would like to use a cx4 to qsfp cable to link the 2 to allow shares to be accessed from the infiniband network. Should I use the switch subnet manager or run a different one.

Right now it's just 2 zfs servers connected to a couple esxi servers

Would love to know what you all recommend. Will this work, should I just leave it as a storage fabric. Would love to have all those fast ports to use for traffic other than storage traffic.

Also am trying to make the move from infiniband over ip to srp. I am struggling with getting this working. I am currently using omnios with connectx-2 cards. Is this worth the trouble with vmware?

Thanks in advance.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
It sounds like you are talking about directly connecting the 6500 to the 4036, yes? While you can get 10GbE modules for the Catalyst 6500, and those modules use Infiniband CX4 connectors, they are not Infiniband. I don't remember any Infiniband modules for the 6500. If that's true then you'll be able to connect a cable between the Cisto and the Mellanox, but they won't communicate.

I am looking to connect a voltaire 4036 qdr switch to a catalyst 6500. i have 2 10g ports open and would like to use a cx4 to qsfp cable to link the 2 to allow shares to be accessed from the infiniband network. Should I use the switch subnet manager or run a different one.

Right now it's just 2 zfs servers connected to a couple esxi servers

Would love to know what you all recommend. Will this work, should I just leave it as a storage fabric. Would love to have all those fast ports to use for traffic other than storage traffic.

Also am trying to make the move from infiniband over ip to srp. I am struggling with getting this working. I am currently using omnios with connectx-2 cards. Is this worth the trouble with vmware?

Thanks in advance.

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
I was just explaining something similar to someone about using CAT5e for a console (serial) connection. He wanted to plug it in to an Ethernet switch port to "extend" the length. Took a little time to make the point that although you're using a physically compatible cable, ethernet is not what is going thru the cable which is the only protocol the switch understands.

There is a Voltaire 4036E model which does have a 10 Gigibit ethernet bridge in it. I looked briefly online for it and found it in the $25,000 price range!