Inexpensive SSD for SLOG Device?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
If you have a pcie x8 slot available you could try to get a radian rms-200, in EU they are listed for ~120€ (+ shipping & taxes).

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Heretic thought of the day: Even on low-IOPS HDDs, if you just use them for storage, chances are you don't need an SLOG at all. Because chances are you don't even have any sync workloads like VMs or iSCSI which could profit. And for ZFS on SSDs, those are fast enough to just skip the SLOG business as well. And everything that needs to be faster still really has to live in RAM, and get synced to permanent storage every 5-10 seconds.

Reactions: newabc

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Yes of course. Been meaning to say anything with U.2 or U.3 like some Micron 9300 Pro or KIOXIA CM5-R Enterprise which will never throttle due to temperature limit, with PLP, so no SAS/SATA but PCIe. Like poster has already planned. Or an add-in card in PCIe format factor. And always buy only SSDs which have firmware updates freely available, to punish the others.

Reactions: newabc

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The optane 905p's price in your link is so low...
I am using the P3700 as the boot drive and will switch it with another U.2 drive taken from another machine.
This post is about SLOG drives and you said caching raid1... I wasn't aware I had to stay in the constraints of this post to make suggestions that were not for a SLOG.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
This post is about SLOG drives and you said caching raid1... I wasn't aware I had to stay in the constraints of this post to make suggestions that were not for a SLOG.
yes, ZFS caching for a raid 1. The issue I met is the x570 motherboard chip is limited on sata random write, compared to b550's full speed and performance. But when I realized this and read the reddit posts on x570, it was late. Then the optane 32gb was used, and it is slower than without it.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
If you have a pcie x8 slot available you could try to get a radian rms-200, in EU they are listed for ~120€ (+ shipping & taxes).
using a x570 board. Keeping a pcie slot for a GPU. rms-200's price and performance is perfect if I have an extra pcie slot.
I used a m.2 nvme adapter for the u.2 p3700. Another adapter is needed now.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Yes of course. Been meaning to say anything with U.2 or U.3 like some Micron 9300 Pro or KIOXIA CM5-R Enterprise which will never throttle due to temperature limit, with PLP, so no SAS/SATA but PCIe. Like poster has already planned. Or an add-in card in PCIe format factor. And always buy only SSDs which have firmware updates freely available, to punish the others.
Before your post, I am planning to use a micron 9200 as the boot drive. I will try to use a small partition on it as the cache at first. The rest space will be used as another storage. The small p3700 will be kept as boot drive as now.