Increase the days an account becomes inactive in Active Directory

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

webuxer

Oct 21, 2020
Hello,
I'm fairly new to Active Directory and would like to know what's the default period (days) an account becomes inactive in AD if a user doesn't logon or uses his/her account. I'm not sure if is 30, 60 or 90 days? Also if I would like to specify the number of days for specific users, where can this be change?

Thank you

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
The link above is for password expiration.

I believe other tools/scripts would be required to disable an account if it hasn't been logged in for a period of time.

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Wow ... my bad .... not only did I misread that ..... the link i provided was not for user accounts.
You can use the Group Policy management console to view the settings (assuming unchanged).
I don't have a live DC at the moment ... but it looks like 42 days for Max Password Age is default.

Start of "Password Policy" topic:

Look at "Fine Grained Password Policy":

Damn ... will the third time be a charm ...... I had to re-read again ... only to realize i'm answering specific to password aging.
By default .... i don't know, or I have never even thought about an account expiring simply by lack of not logging in to the domain.
I know you can set the expiration for an account, but I always thought the default for this was "Never Expire".
In this case, only having a max password age should stop the account from logging in.

For anindividual user via GUI (Active Directory Users & Computers aka dsa), look at the account tab of a User's properties page - example:

To set an expiration date for group of users PowerShell example #2:

Last edited: