In search of 2 Rackmount Chassis' - Storage & VM host

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I'm on the hunt for a rack mountable chassis that can effectively cool (without sounding like a jet engine) a D-1540/1541 that at times has a heavy workload (consistently transcodes for 4-6 str8 hours daily). I can't seem to find many good options that focus on cooling. I don't need any hot swap bays as this will be a VM host and my storage will be on other servers.

EDIT:
I've updated this thread to reflect the fact that I'm looking for 2 rackmount chassis'. One is for a 2 in 1 storage server (bulk media + fast all SSD ZFS pool). The other is for a VM host that will require no local disks.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
How large of a chassis?

One thing you can do to make the Xeon D cooling much more efficient is to use ducting.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
How large of a chassis?

One thing you can do to make the Xeon D cooling much more efficient is to use ducting.
Anything from 1U to 3U is what I have room for. Ducting is an interesting thought I hadn't considered.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
How large of a chassis?

aha.
I remember a long gone Dell Pentium 4 heater machine.
Dell was pretty good on cooling the processor, one 92mm fan with a palstic cover that acting as a duct. The heat got sucked up by the fan pretty good. the fan worked hard to pull hot air out from "giant" cpu heatsink.
well. I am reused the fan actually, amazing fan (very good/durable) running more than 10 years and still running araund.

this is easy to todo. instal a 120mm or minmally 92mm PWM fan that connect to CPU fans connector, and create a DIY cover manually or with 3D printer. the fan must be line of sight placement to pull out cpu heat quick without barrier, round angles shoud be ok, but not sharp angles..

not directly related.
I had a blower 1U directly to the cpu heatsink, and make a plastic duct to make sure the fans blow cold air to the cpu heatsink. this was 1U with old xeon x (already retired and unused) and worked perfectly.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
aha.
I remember a long gone Dell Pentium 4 heater machine.
Dell was pretty good on cooling the processor, one 92mm fan with a palstic cover that acting as a duct. The heat got sucked up by the fan pretty good. the fan worked hard to pull hot air out from "giant" cpu heatsink.
well. I am reused the fan actually, amazing fan (very good/durable) running more than 10 years and still running araund.

this is easy to todo. instal a 120mm or minmally 92mm PWM fan that connect to CPU fans connector, and create a DIY cover manually or with 3D printer. the fan must be line of sight placement to pull out cpu heat quick without barrier, round angles shoud be ok, but not sharp angles..

not directly related.
I had a blower 1U directly to the cpu heatsink, and make a plastic duct to make sure the fans blow cold air to the cpu heatsink. this was 1U with old xeon x (already retired and unused) and worked perfectly.

That sounds ideal but I'm not good at modding and I certainly don't have access/experience with 3D printers. I'd need to find myself some sort of prebuilt duct that I could install into a case and make it work somehow.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
That sounds ideal but I'm not good at modding and I certainly don't have access/experience with 3D printers. I'd need to find myself some sort of prebuilt duct that I could install into a case and make it work somehow.
3D printer is optional.
if you have 3D printer, make you life easy to make a duct

I used this to make a duct:
upload_2016-2-23_10-36-36.png
and
upload_2016-2-23_10-40-26.png
the problem is take time (making a duct) to mold/cutting/hot glue-ing.
this worked with my old 1U with blower fan and DIY duct that direct cool air to cpu heatsink only, another 40mm fans (2X low speed fans) cooled HD and extra nic card.

just bring a flash back memory :D

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have a Chenbro -- I don't thinkt hat model though I'll check

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
on my understanding:
I believe the quality is identical with norco product
do not expect SM quality :)...
Yea I wouldn't. However SM doesn't seem to make any server chassis that fits my needs (12 x 3.5" hot swaps + 4+ x 2.5")