In case you missed it: FS now has free shipping!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SabreOfSD

Mar 19, 2017
Hey all,
I was informed by my FS rep that shipping is now free. That was my biggest gripe with them, so I'm very happy to see the change!

Reactions: leonman

pc_doom

Nov 2, 2016
Yes, I also got email from my rep. Really impressed by their change from slow shipping, fast shipping, shipping from South America and now shipping is free.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Are they really cheaper? When I look for fibers or transceivers I find them on ebay for less (including taxes & customs!).

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
There's cheap and there's good. I'm hoping for good and cheap. We shall see. My experience with cheap ebay cables has not been a terribly positive one.
You got it about ebay and optic cables. So many things can go wrong just because of poor manufacturing , you are running data with the speed of light. It not just On of Off like bits - meaning cable is working or not. Sometimes you have to pick one (cheapest) or the other(good one) if you can't have both and most of the time you can't have both.

fmatthew5876

Mar 20, 2017
Are they really cheaper? When I look for fibers or transceivers I find them on ebay for less (including taxes & customs!).
I'd rather pay a little more at fs.com and have a base guarantee of quality and more importantly a guarantee that it will be compatible with my gear. You always roll the dice with ebay. The people at fs.com are very responsive with tech support issues as well.

Reactions: Black Ninja

herby

Aug 18, 2013
Nice! Shipping was a stopping block for me with them too, despite all the good I've heard.

What would be good generic compatibility to go for in their SFP+ transceivers?
Right now I'm running Cisco DACs direct between Connectx-2s which I've read are forgiving; but what has the broadest compatibility with switches?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I think cisco (marketleader) & finisar (oem for hp, dell and others) transceiver will work in many switches.

fmatthew5876

Mar 20, 2017
herby, you should ask their tech support.

For optical transceivers, I would wait until you actually purchase a switch and then ask them which ones they recommend.

Reactions: Black Ninja

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Just FYI to anyone who is going to use this it seems it is only for business accounts. It would seem that there is nothing stopping you creating a business account though.