Impossible to create new hard drive group and virtual drive on LSI/Avago MegaRaid 9265-8i?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RamGuy

Apr 7, 2015
Am I missing something here, or is it impossible to create new hard drive group and virtual drives on a LSI/Avago MegaRAID 9265-8i RAID controller without clearing the existing configuration?

One of my WD RE4 2TB drives died so I decided to backup that RAID5-array and got a new WD RE 4TB instead. So I decided to reconstruct my existing WD RE 4TB RAID5 array with another drive, and simply delete my WD Re4 2TB RAID5 array to lower it with one drive instead.

So instead of my original setup with 6x WD RE4 2TB in RAID5 + 4x WD RE 4TB in RAID5 I was going to end up with 5x WD RE4 2TB in RAID5 + 5x WD RE 4TB in RAID5.

Adding the new 4TB drive and reconstructing the RAID5 array was straight forward, the reconstruction is taking forever but that is to be expected.

But after deleting the 6x WD RE4 2TB RAID5 array there is no way for me to create another hard drive group and virtual disk on the remaining 5x WD RE4 2TB disk I've got on the controller.... They just sit there as unconfigured, good but I can only add them as hotspare drives and nothing else.

Going into the WebBIOS I only get two options, either to clear the configuration or creating a new which prompts me about the need for taking backup of all arrays as this will clear my existing configuration.

What is this nonsense? From what I can tell the only place where I can actually group my unconfigured WD RE4 2TB drives into a new hard drive group in order to create a new RAID5 array using them I need to do so going through the configuration wizard, which forces me to clear my existing configuration making all my data go to waste?

This can't be right, I have to be missing something here?