import from napp-it?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I want to give FreeNAS 11.2 a try -- can I import the pool from OmniOS\Napp-IT ?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I think I'm going to create a new temp. pool. migrate date, then do a fresh install freenas, new pool on my current drives then move back, should be safest, keep things up to date, and all \pure freenas pool configs.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Yes that sounds like the smarter way of doing things.
If you are on the respective latest feature flags I don't think they are compatible (thinking of things like smb shares that are native in omnios and samba based on freenas for example, let alone actual zfs features like native encryption)

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
just give it a try.. generally speaking.. zfs wont do anything that will harm data, so if the pool is incompatible it will likely just not allow you to import...

if you are really paranoid, import read-only

thing with freenas.. one of the things I really HATE is its almost insistence on partitioning drives when creating pools to run swap stripped on every drive in the pool...

importing an existing and only having that pool would mean that freenas would be operating without a swap... so caution on memory usage.. but I have never seen it try to re-configure already existing disk structures on pool import...