I'm in need of a home server...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wired

Mar 5, 2021
so I've got a deep need for a home server that is efficient in power use if it ramps up under a heavy load fine but it's gotta idle pretty low. I would like tp do transcoding, run multiple servers via vm's / docker. ecc ram is a must and I'm trying to keep this as low cost as I can so used/free hardware is best. I'm on a low budget prob $400 is my upper limit.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
everything....
www.ebay.com

I think you didn't post enough information...

What are the vms/containers doing? (I have a vm at work that is running sql server and requires at least 64 GByte ram, this single vm would already disqualify a bunch of "older"/single socket e3 xeon systems that support only 64GByte ram)
What is the "heavy load"? (This could define the minimum requirements for the system which could be over the budget of $400. See the this post why it's relevant: https://www.servethehome.com/of-bbq-and-virtualization-large-nodes/)
Why ecc ram?
Location? (Shipping servers from Australia to Germany can be 300$+, this information is useless for everbody but people in australia & europe :D)
Do you want to run "netflix at home" for 20+ concurrent clients? full hd? 4k?

Reactions: mmo and T_Minus

wired

Mar 5, 2021
a smaller database server. I'm not sure I've ever used such a large database. I need to run TV headend, Home Assistant, some development software. would like to be able to get some time in other os's. I'm currently using a bunch of raspberry pi's as servers. ecc ram due to bitflips... I'm located in portland oregon, usa

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
A little Dell 1U server E3 v2 Gen11 onwards with 16-32GB of RAM would happily cope with all of your needs and then some. You could quite likely pick something up for the kind of money you have available from the 'bay. Likewise an HP thin client like the T620 with some tweaks would get you what you need, or if you were really lucky, a small HP micro server :)